2012 Instrument cluster problem | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2012 Instrument cluster problem

SpringfieldBMW

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 ford explorer
The Multifunction display and the Infotainment display areas of the instrument cluster on my 2012 XLT, (2100 miles) repeatedly go black (go out) and then relight with different settings/indicators than when they went black. This happened occasionally but just took a 1200 mile trip over last couple of days and it must have happened hundreds of times, staying black anywhere from a second or two to up to 10-15 seconds. The Speedometer area did not go black. Anyone have these problems before I discuss it with my dealer. Thanks for any responses.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The Multifunction display and the Infotainment display areas of the instrument cluster on my 2012 XLT, (2100 miles) repeatedly go black (go out) and then relight with different settings/indicators than when they went black. This happened occasionally but just took a 1200 mile trip over last couple of days and it must have happened hundreds of times, staying black anywhere from a second or two to up to 10-15 seconds. The Speedometer area did not go black. Anyone have these problems before I discuss it with my dealer. Thanks for any responses.
Welcome to the Forum SpringfieldBM. :wavey:
I have the 2011 Limited and have not had that problem. I have had the MFT screen go blank a couple of times but it cleared up. I do not recall any posts about the left and right screens going blank. If I'm wrong, someone will surely post that.

Peter

Perhaps a loose plug connection on the back of the assembly?

I have the same issue on my Ford explorer 2012 xlt 300 miles, the instrument cluster some times go black and relight again ,any advice?

^ Take it in to the dealer to get fixed?

I'll warn you up front...this is gonna sound wierd.

I had a similar problem with my 2011 XLT with MFT & Nav. After a couple of months of trying to diagnose what the conditions were that made the screen go blank, I discovered that whenever I drove the car in Manual transmission mode for more than a mile or two, the MFT would have a problem.

I liked the sport/electric shift on the tranny, so I was using it occassionally. It seems that significant use of the Manual mode caused the MFT to "overload".

I mentioned it to the dealer, but got the "deer in the headlites look".

All I know is ever since I quit using the sport shift manual mode, I haven't had the problem. (at least not since the MFT upgrade).

Told you it was wierd...:scratch:

Still have the problem. Haven't had the opportunity to go to the dealer yet but have the action recorded on my Iphone so I can show it to the service department since I doubt it will occur when they test drive it. Will probably take it in for the recall in the next several weeks. Otherwise, everything works perfectly.

the dealer checked my car last week ,they said the instrument cluster need to be replaced with a new one , now i'm really concerned if they need to extract the whole dashboard.

Update-Dealer has ordered new instrument cluster. Told me it would be about a 2 hour job to install. Will post back upon completion.

the dealer checked my car last week ,they said the instrument cluster need to be replaced with a new one , now i'm really concerned if they need to extract the whole dashboard.

Looking at how it is constructed, it looks like a major job and the dash will need to move out of the way.

Dropped my Explorer off at the dealership at 11:15 am. Dealership called at 1:26 pm notifying that the vehicle was ready to be picked up and did so. I don't think they could pull the entire dash out and replace it in less than 2 hours. Must be some way to remove the instrument cluster without taking out the dash.

That does seem fast. That's good if they could do it without introducing a ton of squeaks and rattles, I mean pulling the dash... haha :)

Dropped my Explorer off at the dealership at 11:15 am. Dealership called at 1:26 pm notifying that the vehicle was ready to be picked up and did so. I don't think they could pull the entire dash out and replace it in less than 2 hours. Must be some way to remove the instrument cluster without taking out the dash.

thanks for updatinng us ,Hope everything is going good with you

Back