Instrument Cluster Crack/ Warranty Issue | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Instrument Cluster Crack/ Warranty Issue

PPPD1227

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Ford Explorer Sport
Hey everyone, I have owned a 2015 Sport for a year now and have about 8,000 miles on it. Living in chicago this past winter we have had days where it has been 40-50 degrees outside only to drop to 15-20 at night. Weather has been all over the place. After one of such up and down weeks I got into my vehicle in the morning and noticed the Plastic on the Instrument Cluster had a 2 inch crack across it. I wouldn't normally care but being a 52k car and the fact that it's annoying me every day and in my direct eyesight. I've never had this happen in a car before. Knowing that I am still under warranty plus the premium ESP I figured my dealer would take care of it when I came in for an oil change.

Fast forward to today, my Sport is in for oil change and a few other warranty issues and the service rep was giving me a hard time about the instrument cluster and couldn't provide me a straight answer if it would be covered. I am bringing my car back on Monday for other covered warranty work and my dealer will have it for a few days and stated they would let me know if they will cover it.

If anyone can provide me with some insight and also if you have seen this before. The crack is in the plastic directly in sight of the small display that shows phone,entertainment and navigation on the right side.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Why would they be giving you a hard time over this?

Seems like a good time for a new dealer.

I am sure they are looking at it from the abuse angle. Unless there is an impact mark I say they shouldn't question it. They are probably gonna wanna take a pic or two of it, send that to Ford and see if it will get covered.....blah blah blah

Our opinions are meaningless though...it is theirs that counts.

If you haven't been in an accident or obvious damage, can't imagine why there WOULDN'T be coverage...

The service rep stated that they are very leary towards any warranty work if there are cracks/dents in plastic parts of the dash. No issues when I explained my center console latch was broken... Which is also plastic.

2iieqeu.jpg

2ed6omd.jpg

Here is some pictures. It's obvious that this wasn't abuse. No impact marks. My car is immaculate.

Was this a dealer service rep? Or a regional rep?

As others have said, if it's a dealer rep, i'd find a different dealer. I see no reason why this would be denied.

The service rep stated that they are very leary towards any warranty work if there are cracks/dents in plastic parts of the dash. No issues when I explained my center console latch was broken... Which is also plastic.

5 bucks says the crack originated from the outer edge.

Probably stressed when it was installed at the factory.

As others have said, if it's a dealer rep, i'd find a different dealer. I see no reason why this would be denied.

Dealer service rep. They have to check with the manager once they have the vehicle on Monday.

Who has a cracked MFT screen? I guess that post got moved?
There are several posts by members in that thread who have experienced cracked MFT screens. Nothing was moved.

Peter

There are several posts by members in that thread who have experienced cracked MFT screens. Nothing was moved.

Peter

No where in THIS thread do I see a member mentioning a cracked MFT screen.

I wasn't going to say anything but thank you.

Didn't say that anyone in this thread had a cracked MFT screen. Just posted the link to help inform OP that Ford has denied coverage to others with a similar problem and to point out that those also didn't get warranty coverage except for a couple of members.
Perhaps I should have made that clearer.

Peter and

I see how it works.

PPPD1227, have you tried going to another dealer or contacted FordService? As I mentioned that in the link I provided re a similar issue with a cracked MFT screen, a couple of members did manage to get warranty coverage. I'm guessing it is likely a 'stress' crack. I believe it is the only one I've heard about on the forum. Good luck.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a 13 explorer sport, with 45k miles. Excellent condition, garaged. Out of the blue on day there was a 1 inch crack to the left bottom of my speedometer and it grew over the next few days. Crap...this will be a big job to fix and it's so obvious if I want to sell my car.
Then a month later my husbands 14 F150 also started cracking in the same place.
Today I went shopping with my daughter in her 13 Flex and while it was parked her dash, straight up in the middle of her speedometer has a 2 inch crack. ( high temp today 72 degrees )
Search Ford and found nothing.
One time on a car maybe a fluke, but 3 Ford cars, I don't think so.
14 F150 is under warranty, but they are calling it a stress fracture and it is only warranty for 12 months.
My daughters flex is covered by ford original extended warranty and she will find out Monday if they will cover it.
Thinking about getting a new 17 sport soon but to many little things are not up to par for 50K car.

Back