2013 Explorer 3.5 V6 transmission noise | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2013 Explorer 3.5 V6 transmission noise

mguria

Reaction score
My new Explorer started making noticeable gear whine starting around 2000 miles and has gotten progressively worse (now at 2700 miles) It becomes noticeable around 25 mph and continues up to about 65 mph (2nd through 4th or 5th gears?). There is also a groaning sound when shifting between gears, although to this point no roughness when shifting. When crusing in 6th it's not noticeable unless I accelerate and the trans downshifts. Also, as the trans downshifts when slowing for a stop (around 20 mph) the gear whine totally goes away. I haven't found any TSB's or other threads mentioning this issue.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My new Explorer started making noticeable gear whine starting around 2000 miles and has gotten progressively worse (now at 2700 miles) It becomes noticeable around 25 mph and continues up to about 65 mph (2nd through 4th or 5th gears?). There is also a groaning sound when shifting between gears, although to this point no roughness when shifting. When crusing in 6th it's not noticeable unless I accelerate and the trans downshifts. Also, as the trans downshifts when slowing for a stop (around 20 mph) the gear whine totally goes away. I haven't found any TSB's or other threads mentioning this issue.
Welcome to the Forum mguria. :wavey:
I have a 2011 and the noticeable downshift is always at 60 kph (37 mph). As for transmission whine, that doesn't sound right. I assume the 2013 uses the same one as the 2011 and there is absolutely no whine or noise from mine.
I would definitely schedule an appointment with the dealership and have them check it out before it gets any worse.

Peter

I'm curious to know if you had any resolution to this. I have the same problem except mine had it upon delivery. It had about 300 miles on it because I got mine driven in from another dealership. They dismissed the problem initially buy after about 1200 miles on the ODO, I went back and told them it was not normal. They ended up putting another transmission in. That didint fix it. Same noises. I took it bak again and they put a THIRD trans in but this time they replaced the lines and the cooler as well. I just got it back yesterday and guess what... Same noises!!! I really think mine is a lemon. I know the noise is in the transmission because the noise is directly correlated with gear changes. I'm going back to the dealership Monday and demanding another explorer! What have they done for you?!?

I'm curious to know if you had any resolution to this. I have the same problem except mine had it upon delivery. It had about 300 miles on it because I got mine driven in from another dealership. They dismissed the problem initially buy after about 1200 miles on the ODO, I went back and told them it was not normal. They ended up putting another transmission in. That didint fix it. Same noises. I took it bak again and they put a THIRD trans in but this time they replaced the lines and the cooler as well. I just got it back yesterday and guess what... Same noises!!! I really think mine is a lemon. I know the noise is in the transmission because the noise is directly correlated with gear changes. I'm going back to the dealership Monday and demanding another explorer! What have they done for you?!?
Welcome to the Forum OnCampus2K.:wavey:
Sorry to hear that your having problems with your new vehicle. Although I'm no mechanic, I would sincerely doubt that you would get 3 bad transmissions.
The problem has to be somewhere else. Don't forget that engine RPM's also change with the transmission gear changes. I believe that the RPM readings are measured from the crankshaft's revolutions. So when the transmission shifts, the speed of the crankshaft also changes.

Peter

Welcome to the Forum OnCampus2K.:wavey:
Sorry to hear that your having problems with your new vehicle. Although I'm no mechanic, I would sincerely doubt that you would get 3 bad transmissions.
The problem has to be somewhere else. Don't forget that engine RPM's also change with the transmission gear changes. I believe that the RPM readings are measured from the crankshaft's revolutions. So when the transmission shifts, the speed of the crankshaft also changes.

Peter

I agree that there is something else wrong. The third transmission was put in at the field engineer's suggestion. I knew it wouldn't fix it. It's more than engine noise. There is a horrid grinding noise at 20-30 mph. After I did the deal, I drove an identical explorer for 3 days while they got mine brought in so I have a reference as to what a normal sounding engine sounds like.
I spoke to the dealership today. Because of all this, they said they would buy mine back for exactly what I paid and would sell me another one for the same amount. It's frustrating. I've owned the vehicle for a month and it's been in my possession a total of 5 days. It's been in the shop the other 25 days.

Hi, I am from Dubai and got my new 2013 Ford Explorer 2013 last week. I have been facing the same grinding noice / vibration / feeling since the time I drove the car out of the showroom. I was driving a GMC Acadia before and fell for this new Explorer's style and technology. But frankly speaking, this grinding noise is more than disturbing. I have taken the car to the service today and got it driven with a Senior Service Team Leader next to me. He says that its quite normal for this model and he doesnt find anything abnormal. I drove another Ford Explorer as well to feel it, but I found out that its there in that car as well, but mine is more prominent. I dont know what is the issue, but with 1300kms driven, I am not at all happy with the car. Anyone having a solution, pls suggest.

Hi, I am from Dubai and got my new 2013 Ford Explorer 2013 last week. I have been facing the same grinding noice / vibration / feeling since the time I drove the car out of the showroom. I was driving a GMC Acadia before and fell for this new Explorer's style and technology. But frankly speaking, this grinding noise is more than disturbing. I have taken the car to the service today and got it driven with a Senior Service Team Leader next to me. He says that its quite normal for this model and he doesnt find anything abnormal. I drove another Ford Explorer as well to feel it, but I found out that its there in that car as well, but mine is more prominent. I dont know what is the issue, but with 1300kms driven, I am not at all happy with the car. Anyone having a solution, pls suggest.

It's absolutely not normal. Mine is back at the dealership. We have driven another on on the lot and the noise is not in that one. The field service engineer is coming out tomorrow to verify that the noise is still here after two repair attempts. They are all at a loss and I am now working with Ford take this car back since they can not repair it. My service manager here agrees that it is defective and the vehicle should be replaced.

On mine it had to do with a timing belt, the whine is most noticeable when starting from a standing stop. Soon after that my AC failed. It was fixed at the dealer. I'm assuming the two are related.

I don't keep service reports so can't post what was done to fix it.

It's fixed... I hope...

The service manager called me today to tell me they had located the problem and fixed it. They found a Special Service bulletin that was overlooked in the previous attempts. The brake line and the transmission line can sometimes be set too close to each other and rub together. That's what causes the noise. I didn't believe it could have fixed it at first, but they corrected the line position and we took it on a test drive and sure enough the sound and vibration are both gone!

According to the bulletin: "SOME 2011-2013 EXPLORER VEHICLES MAY EXHIBIT A CONTACT CONDITION BETWEEN THE TRANSMISSION OIL COOLING (TOC) TUBE AND THE BRAKE TUBE NEAR THE DRIVER SIDE FRONT WHEEL WELL CAUSING A BUZZING/HUMMING/WHINING POWER TRAIN NOSIE WHILE DRIVING (ESPECIALLY DURING TRANSMISSION SHIFTS). INSPECT THE BLACK PLASTIC CLIP ON THE BRAKE TUBE AND VERIFY THAT IT IS FULLY SEATED INTO THE FRAME (THE CLIP IS LOCATED APPROXIMATELY 3.5 INCHES ABOVE AND APPROXIMATELY 6 INCHES BEHIND THE POINT WHERE THE BRAKE TUBE ROUTES NEAR THE TOC TUBE). WITH THE CLIP IN PLACE THERE SHOULD BE APPROXIMATELY 15/16" (24.5MM) CLEARANCE BETWEEN THE LINES

My X has been returned to me and, at least for now, all noises are gone. Time will tell if it stays that way. Tell your service team to reference Oasis Special Service Message Number: 22266

I hope this helps a lot of you from going through what I went through (over a month of not having my X and 3 different transmissions...)

The service manager called me today to tell me they had located the problem and fixed it. They found a Special Service bulletin that was overlooked in the previous attempts. The brake line and the transmission line can sometimes be set too close to each other and rub together. That's what causes the noise. I didn't believe it could have fixed it at first, but they corrected the line position and we took it on a test drive and sure enough the sound and vibration are both gone!

According to the bulletin: "SOME 2011-2013 EXPLORER VEHICLES MAY EXHIBIT A CONTACT CONDITION BETWEEN THE TRANSMISSION OIL COOLING (TOC) TUBE AND THE BRAKE TUBE NEAR THE DRIVER SIDE FRONT WHEEL WELL CAUSING A BUZZING/HUMMING/WHINING POWER TRAIN NOSIE WHILE DRIVING (ESPECIALLY DURING TRANSMISSION SHIFTS). INSPECT THE BLACK PLASTIC CLIP ON THE BRAKE TUBE AND VERIFY THAT IT IS FULLY SEATED INTO THE FRAME (THE CLIP IS LOCATED APPROXIMATELY 3.5 INCHES ABOVE AND APPROXIMATELY 6 INCHES BEHIND THE POINT WHERE THE BRAKE TUBE ROUTES NEAR THE TOC TUBE). WITH THE CLIP IN PLACE THERE SHOULD BE APPROXIMATELY 15/16" (24.5MM) CLEARANCE BETWEEN THE LINES

My X has been returned to me and, at least for now, all noises are gone. Time will tell if it stays that way. Tell your service team to reference Oasis Special Service Message Number: 22266

I hope this helps a lot of you from going through what I went through (over a month of not having my X and 3 different transmissions...)

Thanks pal, I hope this is quite conclusive and To-the-point diagnostics. Knowing these people is Dubai, not sure whether they will own the responsibility or accept the fault even if its the actual case, I am still going to try and see how I can get it out of my car and my mind. Thanks. :)

My new Explorer started making noticeable gear whine starting around 2000 miles and has gotten progressively worse...
Welcome to the boards, mguria. I’m sorry for missing your original post. I want to help by escalating this up to your regional Customer Service Manager. For me to lend a hand, please send a PM with your credentials (contact info, VIN, mileage, and dealer name/state).

Thanks pal, I hope this is quite conclusive and To-the-point diagnostics...I am still going to try and see how I can get it out of my car and my mind. Thanks. :)
manumahdi,

Because you live in the UAE, I recommend calling the Middle East Customer Relationship Center @ +971 (0) 4 3326084 for further assistance.

...Soon after that my AC failed. It was fixed at the dealer...
...My X has been returned to me and, at least for now, all noises are gone...
...Sorry to hear that your having problems with your new vehicle...
charliez, OnCampus2K, & Peter,

I like seeing that the noises were taken care of, guys; thanks for helping out.

Cory

I have contacted Ford customer service today as per the suggestion from Cory, but the customer service person was suggesting that, this is part of the characteristics of New Ford Explorer. Since the new model has Smart Gear Box, it will understand the driving style of the person and adjust itself to it and this grinding feeling / noise is similar to the one in a manual gear car and its normal. I have registered a complaint on this matter though. Let me see how it turns out.
BTW, did anyone else get similar feedback from Ford with regards to Smart Gear Box story?

I have contacted Ford customer service today as per the suggestion from Cory, but the customer service person was suggesting that, this is part of the characteristics of New Ford Explorer. Since the new model has Smart Gear Box, it will understand the driving style of the person and adjust itself to it and this grinding feeling / noise is similar to the one in a manual gear car and its normal. I have registered a complaint on this matter though. Let me see how it turns out.
BTW, did anyone else get similar feedback from Ford with regards to Smart Gear Box story?
I'm sure that the 2013 is likely the same as the 2011 that I have. I never heard any grinding noises at all. The Explorer has Automatic transmission adaptive learning. Over time, the transmission will learn your driving style and adjust shift points, etc., accordingly. A new Explorer may initially have firmand/or soft shifts until the learning process has been completed. Any disconnection of the battery will start the whole process over again.
Perhaps this is what they are talking about when they mention Smart Gear Box. In any case, I don't think grinding noises would be part of this strategy.

Peter

My new Explorer Limited had the exact problem you described. Dealership fixed the problem by following the bulletin. Thank goodness the problem caused a noticeable noise and vibration. Otherwise, the lines could have ruptured with who knows what consequences.

same issue appeared with my exp xlt 2013 and was resolved using same bulletin.

Same issue with my 2013 Explorer Limited that I just purchased used, but it only has 9,880 miles. I am so glad I found this site and this post and didn't have to go through taking it to the dealer!

We just bought our 2013 Explorer in December with 32,000 mi. It had a bad transmission noise that the dealer fixed, but a whine was still there after we got it back. Found this post and moving the brake line fixed it. It's now quieter than it has ever been. Thanks for posting this bulletin!

Back