2013 Explorer. Rear driver's side wheel gets hot | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2013 Explorer. Rear driver's side wheel gets hot

bunty27

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 ford explorer
Hi Everyone, I got 2013 base explorer with 89k,
rear driver's side wheel started to get hot intermittently, sometimes it was getting so hot that I cOuld smell while stopped at red light., so I replaced wheel hub bearing assembly, problem still existed,
I replaced caliper, problem was still there, then I replaced rotor+ pads (they both went bad), wheel was still getting hot.
Just replaced the frame for pads (where you fit the pads on), problem is still there.
Basically, I replaced everything behind the tire (also rotated tires).
What am I missing here?
Any idea? Help?
Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would look at the brakes again. You should be able to tell by looking at the rotor and the smell you perceive. The rotor will start to look tarnished even tho new (A blueish/dark tint). If you have or have access to a non-contact thermometer, compare the rear wheel rotor temps after a drive. I'm guessing the one at issue will be significantly hotter.

I admit to having not studied our braking system to any great degree to this point, however a lot of it is common sense and common operating philosophy. With that said, here are a few things I would do in the order listed:

1. Before driving it, jack the back end up so both wheels are off the ground and rotate each by hand to determine if the problem wheel takes more effort than the other one to turn.

2. Do step 1. again AFTER a test drive.

3. I can't speak to your skill level so only attempt what you feel comfortable doing. Get help from someone you trust who knows mechanics/mechanical systems and operation if possible. I would change/replace the brake fluid. The following steps are critical so follow them to the letter for your own benefit:
A. Use a kitchen baster with a piece of hose attached if you don't have access to fancy tools to suck as much brake fluid as you can out of the master cylinder. Use caution to ensure you don't drip any on painted surfaces!!
B. After you get it all out, replace it with new/fresh fluid. Fill to the top as you will be adding more anyway. Again, avoid painted surfaces.
C. Go to each wheel starting with the right rear (As it's the farthest from the master cylinder.) and draw/bleed the brake fluid out. MAKE SURE YOU KEEP THE MASTER FULL AT ALL TIMES! If you use a clear tube for bleeding you should be able to tell by the color of the fluid when you have new, clean fresh fluid coming out of the bleeder. Otherwise, use common sense based upon the amount of fluid you're putting back in the master.
ALSO: Try to AVOID pushing the pedal all the way to the floor when bleeding. Slow, steady pedal depressions are the way to go!
D. Repeat this with each wheel in order of its distance from the master, i.e. RR; LR; RF; LF. REMEMBER to keep the master full! You should go through at least a quart of new brake fluid to ensure all the old is out and you have fresh new fluid throughout the system.

After ensuring all the bleeders are closed and the master is at the correct level, pump the brakes to ensure you have a nice firm, solid pedal. Take a test drive to see if the issue has been corrected.

AGAIN, I cannot emphasize enough the IMPORTANCE of doing ONLY what you feel your comfort and skill level allow!!

I can offer a few tricks but won't for fear of you doing something beyond your comfort level. I didn't look to see where you're located or I could/would offer to help.

I think you will find there is something preventing that left rear caliper from retracting after brake application, which is causing it to remain, at least partially, applied. If you can't correct it by flushing and replacing the fluid, you have to identify and replace the actual component that is the cause.

Hope this helps!!

Is it possible that the emergency brake on that side is getting stuck?

Could be a fault in your Stability Control System. It uses your rear brakes a lot.

While anything is possible, the e-brake is still a cable operated, mechanical system on this truck. Therefore the operator would have to be applying the e-brake in order for it to 'stick'. It would also apply both wheels, so the likelihood of a new caliper sticking is fairly low.

While the cable for that wheel could be routed wrong and being pulled by normal suspension movement, I would suggest discounting that as the cable had to be removed for caliper replacement and even an amateur should have been able to tell something was amiss while fighting with that connection.

Of course, the easiest way to eliminate that as the cause would be to disconnect that cable from the caliper. If the problem goes away, you are right.

If it were me, I would disconnect the e-brake cable and test drive it. If the issue is still there I would reconnect the cable and clamp that brake line at/near the caliper, crack the bleeder to release any pressure and test drive again. I would advise everyone from doing that unless they really know what they're doing. Additionally, all that tells me is that my suspicion of the brake system being the cause is confirmed. I still need to figure out where and what exactly are the culprits...

I'm sure someone on this site has a YouTube video on how to fix it.

Have you had the dealer take a look at it? If not, perhaps that should be your next step.

Peter

I live in south of Baltimore, MD area
One more thing I want to add, when I drive this rear driver's side wheel start to make noise, like pads are hitting rotor, but not all the time, sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't. When it does, it makes wheel hot.
Also, when I replaced caliper I bleed the oil, but not as you suggested. But I'll try to bleed as you suggested.
Also, I swapped the original pad from the rear right wheel to rear left wheel, just for sake. I ll drive today and see how it goes.
My hand brakes or (e-brakes) are fine fuel economy is also good 22mpg ( I drive mostly on highways)

Here's what it sounds like to me:

As you drive and use the brakes, the fluid gets hot, this is normal. It expands as it gets hot, also normal. So you drive for a while and the fluid heats and expands and applies that brake to some degree. BUT the fluid is being prevented from expanding back to the master as it normally would. It could be something as simple as a tiny speck of dirt/rust/debris. If so, the flushing technique should take care of that. If there is a stuck valve somewhere (proportioning valve; ABS controller, etc.) it may free up during the flush as the valves are forced to move farther than they normally would/do. The only other thing that comes to mind is a deteriorated rubber hose. I've seen where a flap of rubber inside moves with the fluid and causes all kinds of braking issues.

Here's what it sounds like to me:

As you drive and use the brakes, the fluid gets hot, this is normal. It expands as it gets hot, also normal. So you drive for a while and the fluid heats and expands and applies that brake to some degree. BUT the fluid is being prevented from expanding back to the master as it normally would. It could be something as simple as a tiny speck of dirt/rust/debris. If so, the flushing technique should take care of that. If there is a stuck valve somewhere (proportioning valve; ABS controller, etc.) it may free up during the flush as the valves are forced to move farther than they normally would/do. The only other thing that comes to mind is a deteriorated rubber hose. I've seen where a flap of rubber inside moves with the fluid and causes all kinds of braking issues.

Thanks for explaining and help, I tried to swap pads as I mentioned above but problem is still there, so I would flush it properly and see how it goes.
Do you guys think? Would it be hub bearing assembly? Wasn't properly installed? I have driven over 10k miles with new assembly though.
Thanks again everyone

I'm currently waiting on my local dealer to get in parts (back-ordered caliper) for this same thing on my 2011. This is the second time this has happened. The first time, they replaced the caliper, rotor, and pads, with no solution. Then, they changed a short piece of rubber hose that connected, I think, directly to the caliper. This change fixed the problem. You could look through the hose and see that it was at least partially clogged with gunk.

I'm currently waiting on my local dealer to get in parts (back-ordered caliper) for this same thing on my 2011. This is the second time this has happened. The first time, they replaced the caliper, rotor, and pads, with no solution. Then, they changed a short piece of rubber hose that connected, I think, directly to the caliper. This change fixed the problem. You could look through the hose and see that it was at least partially clogged with gunk.

I'll also look into that small black hose/pipe, I hope this flushing/bleeding will solve the problem. I am getting sick of this problem :(

I'm currently waiting on my local dealer to get in parts (back-ordered caliper) for this same thing on my 2011...

What's the current mileage on your Explorer, avidday? I'd like to look into this further.

I'll also look into that small black hose/pipe, I hope this flushing/bleeding will solve the problem. I am getting sick of this problem :(

It sounds like you're a DIY kind of person, bunty27, but as Peter suggested, it might be time to have your dealership check this out. Keep us updated on how things go. :thumbsup:

Crystal

What's the current mileage on your Explorer, avidday? I'd like to look into this further.

Crystal

It's at approximately 46,000 now. Luckily, we bought the extended warranty/service plan so everything has been covered.

It sounds like you're a DIY kind of person, bunty27, but as Peter suggested, it might be time to have your dealership check this out. Keep us updated on how things go. :thumbsup:

Crystal

Thank you Crystal for any solution you mentioned about the problem,
my explore doesn't have extended warranty, but as Avidday said, dealership would have changed caliper+ rotor+pads and then would figure out about small connector of rubber. They would have charged me over $800 for all this. Last time I called dealer, they told me $180 for little stuff which I later on find (courtesy this forum) its only 10 mins work.

but as Avidday said, dealership would have changed caliper+ rotor+pads and then would figure out about small connector of rubber. They would have charged me over $800 for all this. Last time I called dealer, they told me $180 for little stuff which I later on find (courtesy this forum) its only 10 mins work.
10 minutes work? Sounds like you've spent days chasing your problem. Plus the dealer has to pay for his building, stock the parts on the shelves, pay for his workers, workers' vacation and training and sick time and work comp and all the rest, and hopefully fixed your problem the first time so there wasn't a return trip involved.

I get it. I do a lot of my own work. But I try not to criticize dealers who are charging reasonable prices for the work they do.

10 minutes work? Sounds like you've spent days chasing your problem. Plus the dealer has to pay for his building, stock the parts on the shelves, pay for his workers, workers' vacation and training and sick time and work comp and all the rest, and hopefully fixed your problem the first time so there wasn't a return trip involved.

I get it. I do a lot of my own work. But I try not to criticize dealers who are charging reasonable prices for the work they do.

10 mins work was not referring to this issue but to change the viper arm. They told me its 1 and half hour job so its $180.
Thanks

It's at approximately 46,000 now. Luckily, we bought the extended warranty/service plan so everything has been covered.

Great news, avidday; I'm glad they took good care of you. :thumbsup:

Thank you Crystal for any solution you mentioned about the problem...

Let us know how things progress, bunty27. If I can be of any additional assistance, just let me know. :)

Crystal

Great news, avidday; I'm glad they took good care of you. :thumbsup:

Crystal

Still waiting on that backordered caliper, plus it would be nice to know what is causing this to happen, for the second time now.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Still waiting on that backordered caliper, plus it would be nice to know what is causing this to happen, for the second time now.

Send me your info in a PM; I'll do what I can to help. In your message, include your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, current mileage, and servicing dealership info. I'll research some options.

Crystal

Back