2013 Ford Explorer Sport crank no start | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2013 Ford Explorer Sport crank no start

Atvdirt2007

Reaction score
City, State
Wymore, Nebraska
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer Sport
New here. Long time lurker and reader. Been helping my brother in law with their 2013 explorer. 3.5 turbo. It died going down the highway and hasnt ran since. The only check engine code was low fuel rail pressure. Dont remember the number. We replaced both fuel pressure sensors and the high pressure fuel pump. Code no longer shows up but still remains crank no start. Noticed there were no rpms on the scanner while cranking. Replaced the crank sensor today and still no rpms while cranking and still no start. Once in a great while it wil give a short 'burp' and thats it. It has spark. Spark plugs are dry so i am stumped. Its like the injectors arent getting signal to pulse. Still no other codes. Need help trouble shooting or a crate of dynamite
Forgot to mention that fuel pump is working and moving plenty of fuel.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Now that the code is gone, have you tried starting it with the accelerator pressed right to the floor?
How many miles are on the vehicle? If it is getting gas but won't start, perhaps it isn't getting ignition.

Peter

I bet the low pressure fuel pump has died. It is located in the tank under the rear passenger floor.
The OP mentioned, "fuel pump is working and moving plenty of fuel."

Peter

Unhooking the fuel line under the hood, you can fill a gallon can in less than 2 key cycles. I dont believe fuel pump is the problem. We did get it to throw a code again after several attempts at starting. Fuel rail pressure too low. Sensor and high pressure pump are both new. Did this with the old ones also. What are the chances of the cam lobe going flat? What is the electrical plug on the high pressure pump for? Sensor? Or controls the amount of fuel entering the pump? What controls whatever it is? I suppose there could be a bad wire in that circuit somewhere. Havent checked into that since i have no clue what its purpose is

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Now that the code is gone, have you tried starting it with the accelerator pressed right to the floor?
How many miles are on the vehicle? If it is getting gas but won't start, perhaps it isn't getting ignition.

Peter
Accelerator to the floor did nothing. It is also getting ignition. How do i know? Held the plug while still on the coil, Its a quick way to make sure your not sleeping on the job! Lol

Back