2013 Limited MFT forgot second key | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2013 Limited MFT forgot second key

ScroggyBear

Reaction score
City, State
Fairfax, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer Limited
My 2013 Limited w/ MFT seems to be forgetful sometimes. It has the issue with the ambient light defaulting to the light blue color, but out of nowhere, it "forgot" my second keyfob. I had used it the night prior, drove home, parked, locked the door with the keyfob; but when I came back out the next morning, it's like it forgot about that keyfob. My other keyfob worked, so I thought it was just the batteries. Changed the battery and it still didn't work. I checked the keyless entry settings and it showed that only one key was programmed. It literally forgot about the other key. So, now I'm down to one key.

Has anyone else had this happen? When I bought the car, one of the fobs didn't have an actual key in it and the second fob had a key but it's just a blank. Could that have caused it...being the fob with no key in it? Would the dealer reprogram the second fob (for cheap/free) since it was programmed one minute and not the next? If not, how much does a "reprogramming" typically cost? Does it *have* to be done by the dealer?

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
Just to confirm that the ambient lighting returns to the default light blue when the doors are closed. The lighting will always be light blue when the doors are opened no matter what colour you have selected. There is a TSB for the Ambient Lighting issue. http://www.explorerforum.com/xenforo/index.php?threads/2011-explorer-tsbs-ssms.343204/#post-3339786
As for the key, if you only have 1 programmed key then you have to see that dealer. As for costs, that sometimes depends on the individual dealer. It could be that you have a faulty remote fob since it isn't usual for the programming to delete itself.
Did you by this vehicle as 'pre-owned'. There should be no reason to have a blank and a missing key. This should have been addressed at the time of sale if it was known.

Peter

Sounds like your fobs are aftermarket fobs, maybe they've just failed. For the ambient lighting, if it truly is switching back to the light blue, check your version of MFT(can't remember how search for it), sounds like it's 3.5.1 and needs to be upgraded.

Lewisra raised a good point about checking the MFT software version.
Press Settings on the MFT screen, then press Help and then press System Information. Then you will see CCPU S/W Version. It should show 3.08.15128.EA.10_PRODUCT. That is 3.8 which is currently the latest release although some dealers apparently have access to version 3.10.

Peter

Back