2013 sport catalytic converter questions | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2013 sport catalytic converter questions

gday

Reaction score
City, State
Loomis, California
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer Sport +402A
Callsign
VK2XOC
I'm trying to make up for some deferred maintenance on my 2013 sport and so I'm starting with a couple of questions re my catalytic converters.

1) I've had a rattle coming from the rear converter area for quite some time but its been hard for me to confirm exactly where. Its a rattle that doesn’t require the vehicle to be moving and is not "in sync" with rpm. What are the chances of this coming from inside the converter ie do these converters ever fail with a rattle sound?
2) Yesterday I got a P0430 code (front cat efficiency) and I've cleared it waiting to see how soon/often it comes back. No other codes or symptoms. Not suggesting I'm going to be swapping out the cat right away but I'm curious how easy this could to be. Years ago I swore I would never do work on exhaust systems especially manifolds as bolts and nuts on exhaust systems have never liked me. But looking at this, the 5 nuts are trying to sucker me in. What are the odds this is going to go smoothly?

Cheers and thanks for any advice!

-mick

There are quite a few threads on P0430 that you can find using the Search feature at the top right. Some of them may provide useful info. As for the rattle, I can't say I've read posts on that before. Good luck Mick.

Peter

There are quite a few threads on P0430 that you can find using the Search feature at the top right. Some of them may provide useful info. As for the rattle, I can't say I've read posts on that before. Good luck Mick.

Peter
And if any those post were helpfull I would not have to have post this. Sadly none on ecoboost vehicles. Been there done that.

-mick

Back