2014 Explorer Sport 3.5T DTC Misfire Codes | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2014 Explorer Sport 3.5T DTC Misfire Codes

rjlipscomb

Reaction score
City, State
West Palm Beach, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Sport 3.5 Eco-Boost
2014 Explorer Sport 3.5T DTC P0171, P0302, P0420 and P2096. Any ideas or help is appreciated.

It would save people time if you listed what those codes mean

P0171 Bank 1 too lean
P0302 Cylinder 2 misfire
P0420 Bank 1 catalytic converter sensed ineffective
P2096 Bank 1 Too Lean Post Cat (downstream O2 sensor reading)

Based on all of this, I would wonder if cylinder 2 has a stuck fuel injector or bad wiring to it, and check for the activation power pulse getting to that injector while running.

If it is not getting power, check wire continuity between the connector and the PCM. If the wiring is good then you might have an injector, driver transistor failure and need a PCM repair or replacement.

If it is getting power then time to try taking the fuel rail off and either swap the positions of 2 of the injectors (one of them being from cylinder 2) to see if the problem follows the injector, or just get a new injector would be easier, and you'll want new o-rings for all injectors pulled with the fuel rail, and IDK what else doing so entails, for example if the intake manifold comes off then may want a new gasket(s) for that.

There is a 2014 workshop manual linked in my sig below, which probably has troubleshooting and test procedures you can follow in case I am wrong or just to verify before digging into it.

Being a sport I assume it has the 3.5L Ecoboost? It would be good to mention that, potentially list it in your sig or on your forum profile so it shows up on the left column of posts. Many of us would assume a Sport has the 3.5L EB but not everyone knows that.

If you end up taking the intake manifold off, it might be a good time to replace the spark plugs if it hasn't been done in a few tens of thousands of miles. Some people would also replace the spark plug wires while they are at it. Hindsight is 20/20, if the wires work after being moved around then it didn't need done. If they have an issue afterwards then it would have been a good idea. ;) I'd go ahead and replace them if the opportunity arises if they are now 10 years old.

Back