• Register Today It's free!

2014 explorer xlt 18" wheels 4wd

dtr

Reaction score
City, State
orlando, fl
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 ford EX XLT AWD
It looks like I will be selecting a ford explorer 4wd in the next few days. I went with a xlt with 18 inch wheels as that should be better if I hit sand and need to reduce the tire pressure.

I was wondering what type of experience others have had off road. I know the fwd beater did very well on forest trails and national park trails. I was hoping the 4wd would give me better choices on where I could travel.

Any experience in moab would be appreciated.

btw, since I still need to select the suv if any one has comments on the pros/cons of Bliss or dual panel moonroof it would also be appreciated

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I assume this is a joke...

I assume this is a joke...

Well a welcome would have been nice for my first post. :)

I have driven a fwd minivan on lots and lots of forest service roads.

I do not expect to go rock crawling in moab with a 4wd explorer - that is why they rent 4x4 jeeps in moab

But I do expect an explorer or any AWD vehicle to give better off road performance than a fwd minivan. I was hopping for some pros or cons to using it off road.

You obviously gave a con not a pro use of an explorer 4wd, but a few more specifics would have been helpful.

It looks like I will be selecting a ford explorer 4wd in the next few days. I went with a xlt with 18 inch wheels as that should be better if I hit sand and need to reduce the tire pressure.

I was wondering what type of experience others have had off road. I know the fwd beater did very well on forest trails and national park trails. I was hoping the 4wd would give me better choices on where I could travel.

Any experience in moab would be appreciated.

btw, since I still need to select the suv if any one has comments on the pros/cons of Bliss or dual panel moonroof it would also be appreciated

Welcome to the Forum dtr.:wavey:

There is a thread on "Off Road Experience"; http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=379958&highlight=road

There are also some on the moonroof. Here is one; http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=356193&highlight=moonroof

Peter

Maybe you need to reword your orginial post. Sounds to me like you're wanting to use the new body style explorer for wheeling. The AWD (not 4wd) is meant for ice and snow. Popular mechanics did a test of all the new SUVs and the dodge is the only one with a strong enough x case for wheeling. Although the ford lasted the longest till it died. Not sure what forest service roads look like, but if a fwd minivan made it then you'll be fine. Just don't expect to hit big mud holes. Or make it over rocks. Or deep sand. And well you get my point

I was not hoping to destroy my new explorer.

National park trails are well maintained. while a little rough any fwd car can handle most of them.

National forest trails are typically good, but occasional sand, inclement weather and side trails off the main trails have been my concerns with a minivan.

Bureau of land management trails often seem even more challenging.

It is the forest side trails and blm trails I would like to enjoy.

I have no illusions of going on rocks and terrain that my wife would want to kill me for bring her there. But I do not want to get stuck 5 miles from the main road either. I was hoping the 4wd would let me explore more to find better hiking or photographing wildlife.

I have no intentions of crossing creeks that would require changing fluids either. Why waste the following day with your suv in a service bay getting fluids replaced?

The Explorer is fine in the sand, I got 17" wheels for even a bit more flex when airing down. Spent time on Portsmouth Island, NC without a problem, you are a long way from a tow if you get stuck there. The Popular Mechanics article faulted the Explorer for shutting down the 4wd system, which happens by design in order to protect the system from over heating, all you need to do is wait a bit and the part will be back in temp range and you will set off fine. They were racing up and down sand dunes so yeah things will get hot. To me I would rather chill out a minute and let the system cool than burn out a very expensive part. I spend time down to the OBX and have heard numerous stories of people who torched their automatic trannies by not airing down and overheating them.

Welcome to the forum. Some peeps come across a little rough. This is a great forum board.

The Explorer is fine in the sand, I got 17" wheels for even a bit more flex when airing down. Spent time on Portsmouth Island, NC without a problem, you are a long way from a tow if you get stuck there. The Popular Mechanics article faulted the Explorer for shutting down the 4wd system, which happens by design in order to protect the system from over heating, all you need to do is wait a bit and the part will be back in temp range and you will set off fine. They were racing up and down sand dunes so yeah things will get hot. To me I would rather chill out a minute and let the system cool than burn out a very expensive part. I spend time down to the OBX and have heard numerous stories of people who torched their automatic trannies by not airing down and overheating them.

Thanks for the tips. I have seen some trails with sand when hiking the dogs that I want to try near moab and other places.

I have had my MH at moab during jeep safari and seen people with jeeps with triangular track replacement for where the tires go. so I know off roading can get bizarre which is not my intent.

I have also seen jeep people on other forums bragging about being off road on national forest trails my minivan handled just fine. So I realize this is a difficult topic

My goal is getting sanely off the beaten path when I want with a safe well handling suv that will be on the road 97% of the time. Any tips would be appreciated.

Did you say dogs? They are going to love the ex. Plenty of room in the back, big point in my decision to buy it. Tips if you don't know already - get a army surplus folding shovel, cheap on ebay called and eTool. Fits in the jack storage area in the back along with a 20ft tow strap (just in case). I also slip a couple of plywood 12" boards under a weather beater tray in the back in case I need a little extra traction in the sand.

xqf0.jpg

excellent comments on how to use the suv off road imo

AWD can not go every where but it can go lots of places with planning imo.

Back