2014 New Owners - Check Your Wheels when you pick up your new ride.. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2014 New Owners - Check Your Wheels when you pick up your new ride..

bburzycki

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Explorer Sport
If you are the new owner of a 2014 Explorer Sport I would take some time to check your wheels when you pick up the vehicle.

I found all of mine to be defective in both paint and also what appears to be clear coat marks.

Not sure but it seems they must have been damaged early on and or the clear was not fully dry...

Photos attached.. Every wheel was marked - It could have been when they were mounted. It is probably all automated and the robot was on a friday hangover day..

20131007_121855.jpg

20131007_121838.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks for the information! We ordered a Sport as well. What did the dealership say they would do for you? Are they going to order replacement wheels while you use the ones your Sport showed up with?

*Runs outside to check his rims*

Thanks for the info

Just picked up my Ruby Red xSport on Friday. Can't stop looking at it when I park :D

Edit:
My rims are good. Keep us posted on the outcome

@ Majin...can you post a picture of your Ruby Red Sport? We're waiting for our Sport in that same color.

Thank you for the heads up

All four of my rims, on the silver part, have a mark/smudge all the way around the rim similar to one of your pictures. The black paint is Ok.

I thought the dealer didn't clean them good so when I got home tried to get that off but its on there. Can't notice it much from about 10 feet away, but certainly looks like yours up close. Haven't taken it to the dealer yet.

I suspect there was a cover on the wheels in shipping that might have rubbed, or something during the wheel mounting marked it up.

All four of my rims, on the silver part, have a mark/smudge all the way around the rim similar to one of your pictures. The black paint is Ok.

I thought the dealer didn't clean them good so when I got home tried to get that off but its on there. Can't notice it much from about 10 feet away, but certainly looks like yours up close. Haven't taken it to the dealer yet.

I suspect there was a cover on the wheels in shipping that might have rubbed, or something during the wheel mounting marked it up.
They do ship with wheel covers. Check out;
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=394531

Peter

If you are the new owner of a 2014 Explorer Sport I would take some time to check your wheels when you pick up the vehicle.

I found all of mine to be defective in both paint and also what appears to be clear coat marks...

All four of my rims, on the silver part, have a mark/smudge all the way around the rim similar to one of your pictures...

Hi bburzycki and jetpilot747,

I want to alert your regional customer service managers to your concerns. Send me your information (name, phone number, VIN, current mileage, and servicing dealership) in a PM and I'll get this moved up the line.

Crystal

Hi to 2013 sport's owner, I am from northern Canada and wandering if any of you kept the original Wheel for our salty cold winter. I am riding a 08 Taurux X and never bother about winter and they still looks god,

Any suggestions?

I went out and checked my wheels today, there is a rim of much around the edge of the wheel but thus far it appears to wipe right off with slight finger pressure. I'll spend more time on it at home tonight. No deep scratches or chips like in the OP's pix thankfully. Funny though, the number 57 is written in some sort of waxy like material on 2 of the 4 wheels...wonder what that is about.

Well it went to the dealer twice now..
#1 - they now send High Resolution photos to Ford for inspection - so they did that of all 4 wheels, One was approved, the one with the paint defect (chipping in the powder coating) the other 3 were denied and it was told it can be cleaned.. Well I used to do auto detail in my other life and have all sorts of secrets I tried and none of it worked.. but the vehicle went back and was then returned and all the wheels look the same.

#2 - I now have a exterior door lower trim panel that is not properly clipping to the door - so that will need to be looked at also...

#3 - I found a paint defect on the hood - looks like clear coat minor bubbling

So it will need to go back for a 3rd or possibly 4th time now based on the judgement on the wheels and on the hood.. and clearly to fix the lower trim panel..

4 issues with a brand new vehicle.. hmm...

@ Majin...can you post a picture of your Ruby Red Sport? We're waiting for our Sport in that same color.

20131018_130849.jpg

Here's a picture of mine that I picked up on Friday!

Looks awesome...and sure does shine! Thanks for posting...makes waiting for ours that much harder, but I know it'll be worth it.

Ford has determined they will be replacing all the wheels

Now that's the kind of service we like to see. :):thumbsup:

Peter

It just took a few weeks to get it all approved - I think they are in for replacing many sets of wheels and probably need to resolve an issue with the wheel covers or adhesive they are using..

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I went out and checked my wheels today, there is a rim of much around the edge of the wheel but thus far it appears to wipe right off with slight finger pressure. I'll spend more time on it at home tonight. No deep scratches or chips like in the OP's pix thankfully. Funny though, the number 57 is written in some sort of waxy like material on 2 of the 4 wheels...wonder what that is about.
That is the rotation number of the vehicle. Wheels are marked so the operator at the plant doesn't get mixed up when throwing the wheels on the line. I did that job for 2 years

Back