2015 Explorer Sport Tuning Options | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2015 Explorer Sport Tuning Options

BADBOYTOY

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Explorer Sport
Hello, I just picked up a 2015 Ford Explorer Sport. I was wondering what is the best tuning option for the truck that would deliver the most power. I want just a tune without anything else.

I have heard of four options:

1. Unleashed
2. Lund
3. Diablo
4. Livernois

Can someone with any of the above tunes let me know how the tune is?

I also have an option to go to my local performance shop and they said they would install a tune from one of the companies above and then fine tune it to make adjustments on their dyno to add maximum power.

Any thoughts, comments, input of advice will be appreciated.

I want to feel a big difference compared to stock without losing drivability and without making numerous mods.

I don't want any transmission clunk when shifting, I just want smooth power.

I also heard that the tunes prevent auto shifting in manual mode. Is this true?

I know unleashed is the best deal out of all the tunes but i read that Livernois might be a better overall tune. If i get one I would probably go with the 93 performance tune.

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hello

Hello everyone, glad I found this cool message board. I bought a brand new SUV 2014 Interceptor with EcoBoost and looking at boosting it up a bit. I noticed that that the new Navigators have more power and torque and was all done with a tune,same engine. What is a good tuner and CAI kit for this car? I used to have Roush Mustangs and Roush had some great parts, unfortunately they have none for the Explorers. Thank You

Just a note that comparing 3.5L ecoboost in the Explorer / Interceptor / Taurus to the 3.5L ecoboost in the Navigator isn't an apple-to-apples comparison. The Navigator is a body-on-frame SUV, similar to the Ford Expedition, whereas the Explorer is a unibody design based off the same platform as the Ford Taurus sedan. Because of this, while the engine is fundamentally the same design as the 3.5L Ecoboost V6 that first appeared in the F-150, the rest of the drivetrain is substantially different. You are right though, that there is quite a bit of HP and TQ left on the table. Just don't want you to think that a simple tune will let you pick up the difference.

Your assessment is probably very accurate but what your asking is somewhat subjective.

What I think is best isn't best for someone else.

I would suggest the two leaders are Livernois and SCT (Unleashed)

I chose the SCT X4 over Livernois because of cost and flexibility, I want to be able to use my tuner on my 2016 if I choose to upgrade. Daily driving is not harsh at all, and I am using the Unleashed 94 tune all the time. I have no other engine or performance mods.

Livernois probably has the most refinement in their tunes because its a brick/mortar business. That said I have had no issues with Torrie at Unleashed. If I email him with a question or tune updates he is quick to respond and I only have to data log my vehicle, zip up the file and email it to him for an updated tune.

Not sure if Livernois provides that now.

Lund and Diablo are good, I had a Diablo previously and it was good but your limited to their stock tunes.

Good to know thank you!! Want to get 400 hp if possible

Is the Unleashed 94 tune for 94 octane gas? Do you feel a big difference compared to stock?

Is the Unleashed 94 tune for 94 octane gas? Do you feel a big difference compared to stock?

Yes up here Chevron has 94 Premium with no Ethanol.

The difference is night and day.

My pet peeve with OEM tune was between 1500-2500RPM (30MPH) under load on a hill the transmission would "Hunt" and the engine seemed to stumble.

Thats gone with the after market tuning.

When I step into the gas 3/4 throttle the Sport takes off and you have to hang on.

As a daily driver its much nicer to drive with a tune.

Livernois tune vs unleashed tune

Which tune produces more power?

Why is unleashed cheaper?

How do these tunes compare to each other?

BADBOYTOY, as far as I know, we are the only provider of custom tuning for the 15 MY. This is a big reason why we use our own proprietary tuning hardware, other tuning companies are "months out" from supporting the 15 MY. We have been tuning the 15 MY since late August/early September. As for you wanting 400 WHP, NO PROBLEM! We can definitely get you there rather easily! You would be hard pressed to find any aftermarket tuning outfit that has done more with and for the entire EcoBoost line than us. We do not strive to be the cheapest in the market, but there are several reasons why we do not.

We do not cut ANY corners, if we need to go out and purchase a vehicle ourselves to make sure that we can offer tuning or bolt on products we do.

We offer lifetime support for our tuning products.

We will update your tune files for any version modifications that we make, OR for any modifications that you make to your vehicle.

We will also transfer you current tuner to your next vehicle for you at no extra cost. For example, you trade in your 2015 XSport for a new 2017 XSport and wish to tune that wehicle as well. We will transfer your handheld at no extra cost.

Because of this extra dedication and diligence we have an amazing relationship and reputation with Ford.

I chose Livernois with my 2013 Ford Taurus SHO. When I turned that lease in to get the new 2015 Xsport, Anthony setup the new tunes on the handheld over the net. I went and did the Evenflow Thermostat and 3Bar map sensor for even more power. I want to get this beast on a dyno just to see what the pure HP is being put down. I can only recommend Livernois as I have not experienced any of the other tuners. But I can tell you this, I installed their 93 Octane tune on my 2013 SHO at 500 miles, and ran that to 28k miles with not one issue with the tunes. I installed the tune on my 2015 the first weekend I had it, and have 2000 miles on it already.

BADBOYTOY, as far as I know, we are the only provider of custom tuning for the 15 MY. This is a big reason why we use our own proprietary tuning hardware, other tuning companies are "months out" from supporting the 15 MY. We have been tuning the 15 MY since late August/early September. As for you wanting 400 WHP, NO PROBLEM! We can definitely get you there rather easily! You would be hard pressed to find any aftermarket tuning outfit that has done more with and for the entire EcoBoost line than us. We do not strive to be the cheapest in the market, but there are several reasons why we do not.

We do not cut ANY corners, if we need to go out and purchase a vehicle ourselves to make sure that we can offer tuning or bolt on products we do.

We offer lifetime support for our tuning products.

We will update your tune files for any version modifications that we make, OR for any modifications that you make to your vehicle.

We will also transfer you current tuner to your next vehicle for you at no extra cost. For example, you trade in your 2015 XSport for a new 2017 XSport and wish to tune that wehicle as well. We will transfer your handheld at no extra cost.

Because of this extra dedication and diligence we have an amazing relationship and reputation with Ford.

I chose Livernois with my 2013 Ford Taurus SHO. When I turned that lease in to get the new 2015 Xsport, Anthony setup the new tunes on the handheld over the net. I went and did the Evenflow Thermostat and 3Bar map sensor for even more power. I want to get this beast on a dyno just to see what the pure HP is being put down. I can only recommend Livernois as I have not experienced any of the other tuners. But I can tell you this, I installed their 93 Octane tune on my 2013 SHO at 500 miles, and ran that to 28k miles with not one issue with the tunes. I installed the tune on my 2015 the first weekend I had it, and have 2000 miles on it already.

Thank you very much for the kind words! We are glad to hear that you are pleased with the tunes and our service as well. These Ecoboost platforms really come alive with the 91/93 octane tunes especially. Combine that with some minor bolt ons to help make the most of the tunes and they are a beast. The Explorer and SHO models have reported gains in upwards of 60-80 AWHP on the dyno with similar mods and tune while still driving just as tame as stock when you want it to be.

That being said we do offer lifetime free tune support for updated tunes, new mods, and can transfer for the original owner to a new vehicle if supported by that particular device.

Anthony @ LMS

What should one expect the labor cost would be for a shop to install all this sh*t (tuner, intake, thermostat, gapped plugs)?

I'd like better performance, but don't know a whole lot about tuning... and i'm certainly no mechanic (unfortunately).

What should one expect the labor cost would be for a shop to install all this sh*t (tuner, intake, thermostat, gapped plugs)?

I'd like better performance, but don't know a whole lot about tuning... and i'm certainly no mechanic (unfortunately).

If all you bought was the tuner, you would be extremely pleased with the huge gain in performance. The tuner plugs into the port under your dashboard and you follow the onscreen prompts. Very easy nothing at all to worry about you even get instructions and phone support with the tuners. I did not receive my new CAI yet for the Sport but its about a 10 minute install that you can do yourself.

The thermostat I had a mechanic do for me cost me $100. I did not want to chance spilling any antifreeze in my landlords driveway. The 3 bar sensor, is one screw 5 minutes max install.

LMS is not the only provider of tunes for the 15 MY. I know Unleashed and SSI can tune the new ones and I'm sure most if not all of the others can as well.

any late 2015 updates on the various tunes? It seems the xsport conversations have dropped off in 2015 on these tunes. i'm about to get an xsport fairly soon.

Commoncents.. I have a new 15 a couple of months ago and have done the Diablo trinity.. Love it.. Love the tune the power is absolutely amazing..only about .5 miles per gallon difference on mileage. Diablo also has great customer support.

Back