2016-18 Explorer PIU Key Fob Programming | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2016-18 Explorer PIU Key Fob Programming

KYCase

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Ford Explorer
I have a 2016 Explorer PI that did not come with key fobs. It only has the old style keys. I bought an OEM key fob and was wondering what is the easiest way to program it for keyless entry? Is it something I can do myself, or do I need a dealer to do this? Has anyone been successful? Thanks for any input.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I believe you need the receiver also.

I have a 2016 Explorer PI that did not come with key fobs. It only has the old style keys. I bought an OEM key fob and was wondering what is the easiest way to program it for keyless entry? Is it something I can do myself, or do I need a dealer to do this? Has anyone been successful? Thanks for any input.
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
I don't know how the PIU differs from the retail Explorer but there are a few threads in the 'Discussion' forum about programming the key fobs. But as mentioned above. You would need a receiver to recognize the fob's signal and a powered device to trip the locks. I'm sure that is there is likely more than that as well. What kind of fob is it? 3button, 4 button? Do you have the part number?

Peter

Receiver? What is that? Sorry, I don't know anything about this type of things. Thanks for the reply.

Well, the fob is a transmitter. It send a lock signal or an unlock signal. In order for said transmission to have any appreciable effect, there needs to be something in the vehicle that would receive said signal and interface with the power lock system. In other words, remote entry system is not just the fob, there is more to it.

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
I don't know how the PIU differs from the retail Explorer but there are a few threads in the 'Discussion' forum about programming the key fobs. But as mentioned above. You would need a receiver to recognize the fob's signal and a powered device to trip the locks. I'm sure that is there is likely more than that as well. What kind of fob is it? 3button, 4 button? Do you have the part number?

Peter

I searched the forums, but I wasn't sure if the PIU model was the same either. The part number for the key fob I ordered is GB5Z15K601C

Well, the fob is a transmitter. It send a lock signal or an unlock signal. In order for said transmission to have any appreciable effect, there needs to be something in the vehicle that would receive said signal and interface with the power lock system. In other words, remote entry system is not just the fob, there is more to it.

Thanks. That makes sense. So I'm assuming if I order the receiver too, I should be good to go? However, is this something I can do or does a dealer need to install the receiver and program the key fob?

If someone knows where the receiver is located I can check on my '15 PIU, it came from the dealership (used) with a keyfob that works. I can find it and give you the model number. The brand of my fob* is Avital, RPN 7143L 2^66 CODES (not sure why the 66 is a super-script)

This has been covered in other threads not long ago. You need the 3 button fob for 2016+ which is different from the 2015 and earlier. You need to activate rke using IDS or forscan. You need IDS to program the fob serial number into the bcm - I don't think forscan can do it yet or at all. The old cycle key on/off 8 times method to program fobs doesn't work on 2016+ PIU.

The receiver is already in the vehicles as it is part of the tpms module/system. PIU is 315 MHz.

The receiver is already in the vehicles as it is part of the tpms module/system. PIU is 315 MHz.

Well, I'll be a monkey's grandnephew! Didn't know that!

I note that there are a number of different fobs mentioned in the forum. I'm waiting for my ELM programmer and want to order the fobs.

Can anyone suggest a part number and online source for the proper one for an 18.

Thanks

Programming instructions and part #'s - same for 2018 - both fobs will work on sedan and utility.

Remote Keyless Entry Fob Programming – 2016/7 Ford Police Utility
The 2016/7 Police Utility vehicle Remote Keyless Entry (RKE) programming procedure has changed as well as the security protocol for the RKE fob.
The 8 key cycle procedure, used on 2013/4/5 Police Utility vehicles, cannot be used.
In addition, prior model year RKE fobs cannot be used on 2016/7 vehicles even though they look similar.
The 2016/7 Police Utility vehicles require the use of RKE part GB5Z-15K601-A (red panic-sedan) or GB5Z-15K601-C (blue liftgate-utility).
To program 2016/7 RKE fobs, use IDS Version 96.03 or later and the VCM-II (VCM-I won’t work).
Select ‘Toolbox’ then ‘Body’, then ‘Security’, and finally ‘Remote Keyless Entry’.
The 48 character string, which is needed for programming, is located on the inside of the fob. Follow the on-screen prompts to complete RKE programming.
Enter’999999′ for the device serial # and follow the 48-character string method.
The 48 character string is located on the label inside the remote.
Once the 48 characters are entered, click on the check tick.
Even though an error screen appears, the remote should be programmed.
Verify by pressing a button. If not, check for the correct 48 characters.

Fobs can be ordered from many places - up to the individual to pick among vendors with lowest price or fastest shipping/local availability. I ordered mine from autonation wbl.

Perfect. Exactly what I needed and more. Thanks KayGee
I didn't know about the 48 digit sync function. I would have gone to Ford where they would be glad to charge me to activate the remote.

Perfect. Exactly what I needed and more. Thanks KayGee
I didn't know about the 48 digit sync function. I would have gone to Ford where they would be glad to charge me to activate the remote.
There are 2 steps to the process for 16+.
1 is to activate the RKE functionality and turn on the IPC menu
2 is to program the fobs to the vehicle.

1 can be done with IDS or forscan and 2 can only be done in IDS AFAIK and would require a trip to a dealer (probably cost $50-100) or having access to IDS.

Just a note of caution - if you add RKE and fobs on your own and then your vehicle needs service work for BCM replacement or overwrite, more than likely you will need to make sure the shop reprograms your remotes into the BCM or they won't work. You may also need to go back in with forscan to reactivate any changes that are overwritten. I have had this happen twice already.

Thanks everyone for the replies. It seems I ordered the correct key fob and now seems like a trip to a dealer will get it working. Glad to know the receiver is already there. Thanks again for the info.

This has been covered in other threads not long ago. You need the 3 button fob for 2016+ which is different from the 2015 and earlier. You need to activate rke using IDS or forscan. You need IDS to program the fob serial number into the bcm - I don't think forscan can do it yet or at all. The old cycle key on/off 8 times method to program fobs doesn't work on 2016+ PIU.

This guys knows what he is talking about.

A related question - 6 years in, has anyone found an integrated key that uses the programming required for the 2016+ PIU? I'd happily buy a key/pay for IDS programming to get rid of the 1995 key fob :)

Ford will probably never make what you are looking for. The coding fob is something special for PI models. The only way to do it would be with a chipped fob and modifying the vehicle to recognize it, but that would take some looking into to see what may or may not work.

Ford will probably never make what you are looking for. The coding fob is something special for PI models. The only way to do it would be with a chipped fob and modifying the vehicle to recognize it, but that would take some looking into to see what may or may not work.
Thanks!!! At the 2016+ conversion from the 2015- it seemed likely that they'd use some FOB in some other vehicle that followed the PIU logic and could be made to work. Odd that they'd develop a PIU only option when they had/have so many other existing options to choose from.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My 2017 PIU came with the 3 button fob. I ordered a secondary fob, same model number. I asked a Ford dealership to program it, but he tried the process twice and couldn't seem to make it work.
Does anyone know if you are limited to only 1 fob?

Back