2016 / 2017 Explorer - hitch cover removal | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2016 / 2017 Explorer - hitch cover removal

I have a 2017 and thought the cover could be easily broken. It just seems like there could be a better design. Instead of plastic tabs maybe a couple of wing nuts underneath or something to secure it place. I don't know.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a 2017 and thought the cover could be easily broken. It just seems like there could be a better design. Instead of plastic tabs maybe a couple of wing nuts underneath or something to secure it place. I don't know.
Used to be turning knobs on 2015- I guess it's too expensive!

new to forum with a couple of questions.
1. I'm guessing Ford foolishly did not equip the rear hatch of the 2016 Explorer with a glass the opens since I can't find a button nor any mention in the owners manual???
2. Trying to get the hitch cover off but it seems like I'm gonna pull the whole bumper cover off. Is there a certain way to remove or should I just keep pulling?
Check the videos mentioned in this thread.
The first one is mine, I mention that the cover seems to be tacked on the manufacture. Something the dealer guy did not mention by the way :)

On my 16 it just pulls/pops right out ... just be firm but gentle if that makes sense. When replacing the cover back, READ the cover as it will tell you to put the top in FIRST and then you "pop" the bottom in with a nice firm open palm smack to snap into place.

I am still looking on the sides of roads for a replacement for the cover I did not get when I bought mine. Too cheap to buy one. I have not seen one yet which tells me they stay on pretty good.
Anyone with one taking up needed space, I will give it a good home.:burnout:

I am still looking on the sides of roads for a replacement for the cover I did not get when I bought mine. Too cheap to buy one. I have not seen one yet which tells me they stay on pretty good.
Anyone with one taking up needed space, I will give it a good home.:burnout:
Have you tried our classifieds?

Peter

I got rear-ended today, and it popped right off :thumbdwn:

Lets see how much they cost to replace now.
(I'm ok, and that is all that took any damage. his little celica didn't fair as well.)

Mark

Happened to me over Christmas...well over 1000$ Cdn to replace the hitch cover and the larger grey insert. The hitch cover itself is only like 200$ and comes painted. The bumper insert needs to be painted, which drives the price so high.

new to forum with a couple of questions.
1. I'm guessing Ford foolishly did not equip the rear hatch of the 2016 Explorer with a glass the opens since I can't find a button nor any mention in the owners manual???

Probably due to customer research / feedback. My '98 has a glass hatch, which I vaguely recall opening once when new, then once a few years ago. I'd sooner have it not open, not have hinge or latch that could break, greater chance of leaking or rattling... though so far it's fine but that might be because I never use it. I don't even remember if it has a strut or spring of some sort to keep it open or would bang around, maybe even break if I drove with it unlatched - probably no lift support because glass would fracture too easily.

Then again the motorized lift for the whole hatch on my '14 is a bit on the slow side, waiting for that and the possibility (likelihood) that it may eventually fail within the viable lifespan of the vehicle, make we wish it just had manual open, so I could see a separate glass hatch being more desirable on the 5th gens that have a motorized lift.

Back