• Register Today It's free!

2016 Base Explorer options?

ljedik

Reaction score
City, State
Auburn, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Ford Explorer XLT
So I pulled the trigger on a new (14 miles) 2016 Explorer. my fourth explorer I've owned. I went with the base model in Ruby Red with a Class III tow package. I would have opted for the Platinum or Sport, but wallet & wife pointed me to the base model. I'm not disappointed at all as the base model has a lot of features considering I came from a 2004 Explorer XLT.

anyways, two weeks in now I may be feeling a tiny bit of buyers remorse. I like everything except two features I miss from having the XLT. 1.) the key-less entry, and fog lights.

my question is, not so much the key-less entry as I know that would be a huge add on, but can I purchase the fog lamps from the dealer to be put on this model? That would make this SUV more complete. I drove to work this morning and it was completely foggy out, and it made me wish I had the fog lamps on this model.

Larry

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So I pulled the trigger on a new (14 miles) 2016 Explorer. my fourth explorer I've owned. I went with the base model in Ruby Red with a Class III tow package. I would have opted for the Platinum or Sport, but wallet & wife pointed me to the base model. I'm not disappointed at all as the base model has a lot of features considering I came from a 2004 Explorer XLT.

anyways, two weeks in now I may be feeling a tiny bit of buyers remorse. I like everything except two features I miss from having the XLT. 1.) the key-less entry, and fog lights.

my question is, not so much the key-less entry as I know that would be a huge add on, but can I purchase the fog lamps from the dealer to be put on this model? That would make this SUV more complete. I drove to work this morning and it was completely foggy out, and it made me wish I had the fog lamps on this model.

Larry
Was expecting to see pics of the 2016 Ruby Red, not the 1998.
Do you still have the '98. If not, time to update your profile (2016 Base) or add it to your signature. You may be interested in this link. Unfortunately some of the pictures have disappeared which will happen when members use an outside photo site to link to.
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=311631&highlight=adding+fog+lights
Good luck.

Peter

Larry

I would think you could get the fogs from Ford. It is my experience that the wiring for such an option is already their and all you need is the assembly and the switch although I can not say with certainty. Don't want to give you any false hope. At any rate, you could look for the parts and ask you dealer parts department about this. :salute:

Sorry! Signature updated with new pictures! :)

2016%20explorer.jpg

Larry

Your vehicle should have keyless entry. If you are talking about the keypad they do make one for about $80 that sticks on to the vehicle and can be programmed to it.

As far as the fog lamps the first thing would be to see if the wiring is there for it. Ford rarely uses generic wiring harnesses anymore. If its not equipped with it the wiring generally isnt there. Not always true but have to visually check to verify.

What's odd about the key-less entry is, when I was at the dealer the salesperson gave me a card which is still in my wallet with the key-less code entry. So, at the time, I didn't think anything of it figuring it was a feature on the base model. But then when I got home and looked, there is no key-less Entry system? Why would they give me a code? who's code do I have? lol

Larry

What's odd about the key-less entry is, when I was at the dealer the salesperson gave me a card which is still in my wallet with the key-less code entry. So, at the time, I didn't think anything of it figuring it was a feature on the base model. But then when I got home and looked, there is no key-less Entry system? Why would they give me a code? who's code do I have? lol

Larry

Every BCM is programmed with a code and gets a card regardless of whether or not it gets equipped with a functioning keypad during assembly.

Larry
See also; http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=427561&highlight=securicode+base
Same question was asked there about the Securicode keyless entry.

Peter

Back