2016 Explorer Interceptor engine video...Opinions on the noise, please? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2016 Explorer Interceptor engine video...Opinions on the noise, please?

Whitese

16 Explorer Interc. Eboost
Reaction score
City, State
North Bergen, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Explorer E-Boost PPV
I just purchased this vehicle from CMI in Chicago and came to NJ via transport...Everything is A.O.K....Love it!

But..Can anyone here listen to this engine and have any ideas if a water or oil pump is digging its grave?

Picture of engine bay

POTq2XVTS6C4czdf26w2Uw.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I guess I will have to buy a code reader...Thanks guys!

I just purchased this vehicle from CMI in Chicago and came to NJ via transport...Everything is A.O.K....Love it!

But..Can anyone here listen to this engine and have any ideas if a water or oil pump is digging its grave?

Picture of engine bay

POTq2XVTS6C4czdf26w2Uw.jpg

Sounds like top end noise, how’s the oil pressure looking?

Oil pressure is perfect as far as I know Tomorrow I am getting a reader.

There's a chance you have a code stored pertinent to the noise, but I think that is unlikely.
Usually engine noises are diagnosed by hunting around with a stethoscope or screwdriver, or removing parts.

Oil pressure is perfect as far as I know Tomorrow I am getting a reader.
I’m sure you’ve done this but I’m gonna ask anyway just in case, have you checked the level and condition of the oil?

I’m sure you’ve done this but I’m gonna ask anyway just in case, have you checked the level and condition of the oil?
Freshly changed synthetic. 3 days ago

One idea is to remove the serpentine belt and run the engine for just long enough to see if the sound is still present. Easy way to localize the noise to the accessories or engine.

Reason I ask about the oil is because this explorer came with either the 3.5 or the 3.7 and they had an inherent problem with the internal water pump, it would generally go bad around 100,000 miles and leak fluid right into the crank case contaminating the oil

If the contamination is visible with the naked eye, the mechanic didnt see any..he actually said the oil was pretty good when it drained. He will take a look/listen tomorrow. If for some reason he does have the need to dig in, I will change the water and oil pump, timing chain and whatever is accessible then...I was pondering an extra volume oil pump.

If the contamination is visible with the naked eye, the mechanic didnt see any..he actually said the oil was pretty good when it drained. He will take a look/listen tomorrow. If for some reason he does have the need to dig in, I will change the water and oil pump, timing chain and whatever is accessible then...I was pondering an extra volume oil pump.
I don't know if the water pumps make noise when failing. I have an odd noise in that side of town where the pump is. Its faint but doing for years sounds like a faint train whistle. Consider the alternator is next door more likely that. Just for what its worth. Your noise and my noise are miles apart.

I have to ask, was it making that noise when the mechanic change the oil or did it start after the oil change?

did you try disconnect each injector one at the time ?

That I didn’t do.

I did a FORScan with this adapter (OBD Link MX+) and did not get any codes.

in forscan the codes are located like in the image, just in case, Forscan recommend this adapter, https://www.amazon.com/dp/B081VQVD3F/?tag=serious-20
Untitled.png

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back