2016 Limited Headlight Issues | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2016 Limited Headlight Issues

Still waiting to swap out left ballast.......neighbor that owns shop is always behind....may have to take to dealer....I have the part however. The right comes and goes.....works correctly at times then reverts to signature and low beam on all the time. I ran a error code scan the last time it "self-corrected" and it only showed a code for the left.....but I cant trust the right to stay "fixed" so I will have both ballasts on hand when the work is done....bumper removal is the PITA....cost of ballast is such that I would rather replace as a precaution than have to remove the bumper again. What were the conditions under which your issues began ?
The passenger headlamp has a lot of condensation inside, started very recently. Low beam was out starting two days ago. Last night after dark, drivers side (no condensation) started intermittently blinking off for a second. Drove with fog lights and high beams on, but the high beams were flickering as well. Managed to get home and when I shut the car off, the passenger signature strip light stayed on, weakly. The drivers side low beam was blinking on and off. I unhooked the battery. Came back out 20 min later and hooked the battery back up, problem still happening.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

First off, before the search Nazi's drop the hammer, I did search. I've been reading for over an hour. And did find some useful info, like the fact that the bumper has to come off to get the headlight out.

No then, the wife's 16 Limited p/s headlight is having some issues. I noticed heavy condensation on the inside of the lens. The LED DRL strip is out and the LED headlight bulb is out as of yesterday. The condensation is new, I wash it once a week and have not noticed it (and I would have). The high beam (halogen) works fine, I have yet to find where the seal is broken, no rock chips in the lens etc. Looks like a new assembly is in order but prior to going that route is there any chance the moisture may have killed the ballast? Do both the DRL and the low beam work off of the same ballast? Also, if it us just the low beam led that needs changing is there a cheaper source for them? Everything I've found has been close to $200!

thanks in advance,

Moose
Re: "the search Nazi's"
They are only here to help keep things in order. FFS this isn't Facebook ya know! Just be glad they don't kick us out for for saying "Chevy"!

Re: "the search Nazi's"
They are only here to help keep things in order. FFS this isn't Facebook ya know! Just be glad they don't kick us out for for saying "Chevy"!
The DRL/Low beams and signature lighting each have their own ballast. If you got moisture in the housing, it is most likely the ballast, not the LED that is the issue (the intermittent nature of my issue and the fact the ballast is throwing error codes tell me the issue is not the LED....and no, it cannot be replaced....entire housing must be changed out). I got moisture into my left side pressure washing the engine....my own fault....left has been dead since but right comes and goes. Ballast is about $175 discount plus $50 core charge....cheap compared to a new headlight, so I would definitely try that first. What hits me is I thought this was an isolated issue of my own causing, but it seems the ballasts are very prone to failure and being at the very bottom of the headlight, the first place moisture will accumulate....dumb IMHO...the fact there is a core charge also tells me Ford is rebuilding them and putting refurbed units on the market as new. Hope this helps.....keep me posted.

The DRL/Low beams and signature lighting each have their own ballast. If you got moisture in the housing, it is most likely the ballast, not the LED that is the issue (the intermittent nature of my issue and the fact the ballast is throwing error codes tell me the issue is not the LED....and no, it cannot be replaced....entire housing must be changed out). I got moisture into my left side pressure washing the engine....my own fault....left has been dead since but right comes and goes. Ballast is about $175 discount plus $50 core charge....cheap compared to a new headlight, so I would definitely try that first. What hits me is I thought this was an isolated issue of my own causing, but it seems the ballasts are very prone to failure and being at the very bottom of the headlight, the first place moisture will accumulate....dumb IMHO...the fact there is a core charge also tells me Ford is rebuilding them and putting refurbed units on the market as new. Hope this helps.....keep me posted.
Thanks for responding. There's not a ton of info out there. I live in the northwest so if water is going to be a continuing issue for this car I'm probably getting rid of it. Sunroof leaks too. Ridiculous.

The passenger headlamp has a lot of condensation inside, started very recently. Low beam was out starting two days ago. Last night after dark, drivers side (no condensation) started intermittently blinking off for a second. Drove with fog lights and high beams on, but the high beams were flickering as well. Managed to get home and when I shut the car off, the passenger signature strip light stayed on, weakly. The drivers side low beam was blinking on and off. I unhooked the battery. Came back out 20 min later and hooked the battery back up, problem still happening.
My driver side assembly was full of moisture...my own fault....pressure washed with moisture cap missing (I had removed to install brighter high beams) Are your caps still in place ?....and yep....my right side strip and low beam were staying on until the battery saver turned them off after 10 minutes....as I mentioned, it comes and goes. I tried disconnecting the battery...no joy as was your case. I have attached the error codes Im getting for the ballasts.

249712383_6766690923348742_3404483145579225151_n.jpg 250041086_6766682253349609_3148055052428987944_n.jpg

Thanks for responding. There's not a ton of info out there. I live in the northwest so if water is going to be a continuing issue for this car I'm probably getting rid of it. Sunroof leaks too. Ridiculous.
Here are error codes FWIW. I though my issue was singular and caused by my own stupidity but Im finding out the ballasts seem to be very sensitive to moisture....so I feel a little bit better, but still a PITA issue.

249712383_6766690923348742_3404483145579225151_n.jpg 250041086_6766682253349609_3148055052428987944_n.jpg

Here are error codes FWIW. I though my issue was singular and caused by my own stupidity but Im finding out the ballasts seem to be very sensitive to moisture....so I feel a little bit better, but still a PITA issue.

View attachment 425322 View attachment 425323
We are not alone....https://mechanics.stackexchange.com/questions/45660/2016-ford-explorer-signature-led-headlight-issues
Shhhh I got 120 days in the FB clink for starting to collect names on FB for that!
Really ? Never been in FB jail....is the food good ? Dont know how I have stayed out, because this tends to be me.

239497486_10222233932531843_2007999581174574231_n.jpg

So, any resolution ?
Not on my end, completely due to inaction. Drivers side works properly, high beams good, drl and low beam on passenger side still out. No flickering, but drivers side stays on until battery saver kicks on. Got some family stuff going on so we're just living with it for now. Will definitely post if I actually do anything about it

My driver side assembly was full of moisture...my own fault....pressure washed with moisture cap missing (I had removed to install brighter high beams) Are your caps still in place ?....and yep....my right side strip and low beam were staying on until the battery saver turned them off after 10 minutes....as I mentioned, it comes and goes. I tried disconnecting the battery...no joy as was your case. I have attached the error codes Im getting for the ballasts.

View attachment 425320 View attachment 425321
Any luck fixing this issue ?
Not on my end, completely due to inaction. Drivers side works properly, high beams good, drl and low beam on passenger side still out. No flickering, but drivers side stays on until battery saver kicks on. Got some family stuff going on so we're just living with it for now. Will definitely post if I actually do anything about it
Kinda my issue....state inspection is not due until July, so now just an inconvenience. Drivers side DOA.....passenger side works properly most of the time and returns no error codes. Keep me posted. Thanks

Back