• Register Today It's free!

2016 Limited Headlight Issues

moosehead89

Reaction score
City, State
Birmingham, AL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Limited
First off, before the search Nazi's drop the hammer, I did search. I've been reading for over an hour. And did find some useful info, like the fact that the bumper has to come off to get the headlight out.

No then, the wife's 16 Limited p/s headlight is having some issues. I noticed heavy condensation on the inside of the lens. The LED DRL strip is out and the LED headlight bulb is out as of yesterday. The condensation is new, I wash it once a week and have not noticed it (and I would have). The high beam (halogen) works fine, I have yet to find where the seal is broken, no rock chips in the lens etc. Looks like a new assembly is in order but prior to going that route is there any chance the moisture may have killed the ballast? Do both the DRL and the low beam work off of the same ballast? Also, if it us just the low beam led that needs changing is there a cheaper source for them? Everything I've found has been close to $200!

thanks in advance,

Moose

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Dear Moose: There is a thing called a "Warranty" Use it.

38k. Out of bumper to bumper warranty.

The DRL is the low beam, but at lower power.

First off, before the search Nazi's drop the hammer, I did search. I've been reading for over an hour. And did find some useful info, like the fact that the bumper has to come off to get the headlight out.

No then, the wife's 16 Limited p/s headlight is having some issues. I noticed heavy condensation on the inside of the lens. The LED DRL strip is out and the LED headlight bulb is out as of yesterday. The condensation is new, I wash it once a week and have not noticed it (and I would have). The high beam (halogen) works fine, I have yet to find where the seal is broken, no rock chips in the lens etc. Looks like a new assembly is in order but prior to going that route is there any chance the moisture may have killed the ballast? Do both the DRL and the low beam work off of the same ballast? Also, if it us just the low beam led that needs changing is there a cheaper source for them? Everything I've found has been close to $200!

thanks in advance,

Moose
Welcome to the Forum Moose.:wave:
BTW there are better ways to start off your membership in the forum than by saying, "First off, before the search Nazi's drop the hammer....." That term (Nazi) can be taken as being very offensive by some members. Good luck.

Peter

Life is too short to be easily offended. And after doing some searching and seeing multiple responses telling people to search first it's obvious some folks like to be "that guy". They're on every forum, I get it.

Back on topic, both the low beam LED and the strip LED (which is what I was referring to as the DRL) are out. From doing some research I see that the LED strip is part of the housing itself. For both the low beam and the strip to go out at the same time seems strange, that's why I was curious if it was the ballast, if both the LED strip and the low beam LED are running off of the same ballast. Anyone know if that is the case?

thanks

Hmm. monikers matter?

Life is too short to be easily offended. And after doing some searching and seeing multiple responses telling people to search first it's obvious some folks like to be "that guy". They're on every forum, I get it.

Back on topic, both the low beam LED and the strip LED (which is what I was referring to as the DRL) are out. From doing some research I see that the LED strip is part of the housing itself. For both the low beam and the strip to go out at the same time seems strange, that's why I was curious if it was the ballast, if both the LED strip and the low beam LED are running off of the same ballast. Anyone know if that is the case?

thanks
Did you ever figure it out having same problem

Did you ever figure it out having same problem
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
FYI, the member you quoted was last active here May 18, 2017.

Peter

I'm dealing with the same issue (low beam and DRL went out at the same time) after having moisture in the lens for some time. In my case, it's the left side (driver side). No luck finding much info despite a lot of searching. Any tips? Thanks

I'm dealing with the same issue (low beam and DRL went out at the same time) after having moisture in the lens for some time. In my case, it's the left side (driver side). No luck finding much info despite a lot of searching. Any tips? Thanks
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Aren't the low beam and DRL one in the same? Have you checked the fuse?

Peter

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Aren't the low beam and DRL one in the same? Have you checked the fuse?

Peter
Hi Peter,
The low beam and the surrounding lights (the ones that go around the housing) both went out at the same time so I'm expecting they are on the same circuit. And for the life of me... I cannot find a fuse listed that is on this circuit. Any thoughts? I must be overlooking it in the fuse lists.

Sorry about the checking the fuse thing. I forgot that for some reason the 2016+ Manuals really cut down on the fuse listings. Headlight fuses indications didn't start being displayed again until the 2020 Manual came out.
The surrounding LED strip is called Signature Lighting and the low beam is the DRL. I don't know how the headlights are controlled. Have you checked to make sure that the wiring is secure?

Peter

Sorry about the checking the fuse thing. I forgot that for some reason the 2016+ Manuals really cut down on the fuse listings. Headlight fuses indications didn't start being displayed again until the 2020 Manual came out.
The surrounding LED strip is called Signature Lighting and the low beam is the DRL. I don't know how the headlights are controlled. Have you checked to make sure that the wiring is secure?

Peter
Thanks. I did check the connection at the headlight assembly by disconnecting and reconnecting the connector, but no difference. I've gotta think the moisture that I had earlier in the housing had something to do with it. It looks like a bit of work to really pull the headlight out to inspect it, so trying to find info on the circuit first.

Moisture in the headlights is not unheard of. They are not a sealed unit so they should dry out. Of course a lot depends on the amount of moister as well. It is covered in the Owner's Manual on page 79 of the 3rd printing.

Peter

Moisture in the headlights is not unheard of. They are not a sealed unit so they should dry out. Of course a lot depends on the amount of moister as well. It is covered in the Owner's Manual on page 79 of the 3rd printing.

Peter
Interesting. I'll have to look that up. Driver side will fog up in the headlight after a hard rain; passenger side stays dry. Maybe the driver side isn't vented well.

I know you post is rather old, but did you ever establish a solution....IM having a very similar issue after moisture got into the left headlight assembly....DRL and signature are DOA, and right side DRL and sig are staying on all the time until the battery saver shuts it down at 10 minutes.

I know you post is rather old, but did you ever establish a solution....IM having a very similar issue after moisture got into the left headlight assembly....DRL and signature are DOA, and right side DRL and sig are staying on all the time until the battery saver shuts it down at 10 minutes.
FYI, the member you quoted was last seen here August 31, 2020.

Peter

I'm having this problem right now! Have you figured anything out?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm having this problem right now! Have you figured anything out?
Still waiting to swap out left ballast.......neighbor that owns shop is always behind....may have to take to dealer....I have the part however. The right comes and goes.....works correctly at times then reverts to signature and low beam on all the time. I ran a error code scan the last time it "self-corrected" and it only showed a code for the left.....but I cant trust the right to stay "fixed" so I will have both ballasts on hand when the work is done....bumper removal is the PITA....cost of ballast is such that I would rather replace as a precaution than have to remove the bumper again. What were the conditions under which your issues began ?

Back