2016 Non ecoboost V6 - Travel Trailer ?s | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2016 Non ecoboost V6 - Travel Trailer ?s

So my new explorer is rated at 5000lbs (has the factory tow package). So am I to understand that I need to subtract the weight of the Explorers occupants too? So thats about 700lbs + gear. So things in reality start to get down to about 4000lbs, then any gear or water in the Trailer, and its getting to maybe 3500 lbs, then I hear that you shouldn't really be towing any trailer past a certain length because of the relatively short wheelbase of an suv vs a pickup.
Sooooooo in buying a travel trailer for my family that sleeps 2 adults and 3 kids are there any recommendations or does anybody have long term experience in hauling anything sizeable with no issues. Any help appreciated.

Yes and no. You need to subtract the weight of any passengers (but not the driver) and cargo (that you put in the Explorer) from your 5000 lbs MAX tow rating. That's why it's called a "MAX" tow rating. You can only get that "MAX" rating when the only thing in the tow vehicle is the driver. Why? Because it's based on the total combined weight rating (GCVWR) that the drivetrain can handle. For the 5th gen trucks, that's:
9,950 - FWD (I'll assume you have FWD)
10,150 - AWD
Regardless of where the weight is, the combined rating can't exceed the GCVWR. In addition to that rating, they need to protect the structure, by placing a MAX towing rating. So even if you have a stripped down XLT model without as many bells and whistles, you can't pull a trailer with a loaded trailer more than 5000 lbs.

You get the most accurate numbers by starting with your GCVWR: 9950 lbs
Subtract the weight of the empty vehicle (see door sticker or have it weighed yourself), and the weight of driver and all passengers. What you have remaining is available for the loaded trailer, and whatever cargo you put in/on the Explorer.

If you don't want to go thru that, then do the subtraction game:
5000 lbs MAX, minus whatever passengers/cargo you put in the Explorer (not including the driver).

Either way you slice it, you will have around 4300 lbs available for loaded trailer (assuming you put no other cargo in the Explorer. For that size trailer, a good estimate for trailer options and cargo weight is 800 lbs. That means you should be looking for a trailer with no more than 3500 lbs dry weight.

If you want a trailer larger than that, you need an Expedition or a pickup.

I really appreciate you breaking it down for me like that. Its 4WD but still, I think I should play it safe and stick with a 3500lb trailer. Cheers.

Trailer

I was in the same position as you. I ended up getting the Skyline Ecocamp 20BH with a 3500 dry weight. They discontinued the model, but the other option we almost went for the Livinlite Camplite. It is even a little lighter and probably would meet your needs. Fortunately for you there is a dealer near near Portland. The trailer tows just fine with a weight distribution hitch. I usually only fill up my water tank when I get to where I am going so I am not hauling the extra weight. I hope this helps, happy hunting!

Really appreciate that, I'll check em out. Cheers.

Back