2016 Platinum reliability | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2016 Platinum reliability

david22585

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Explorer Limited
My 2011 Limited was just totaled in a rear end accident, and I'm looking at picking up a 2016 Platinum with 84k on the clock. I can see that every oil change was done along with all maintenance at a Ford dealership from Carfax, but I was wondering what the overall consensus was on a 2016 Platinum was with that mileage. A few oil changes were done at other dealers around the country, so my educated guess was that it was someone who may have travelled for work and has mostly highway miles.

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Buying any used vehicle is like pulling the handle on a slot machine or rolling the dice. Sometimes you come up a winner and sometimes you have to put more money down.

Is it a private sale or a dealer? If private I would pay for them to take it to a dealer to have them go through it. If it is a dealer and not a Ford dealer I would ask them to take it to a Ford dealer and have them go through it. But even if they give it a clean bill of health you are still rolling the dice. You just never know when something might break. With 84K on it you are coming up to the dreaded water pump failure point, but then again it may go another 84K with no problems.

Buying any used vehicle is like pulling the handle on a slot machine or rolling the dice. Sometimes you come up a winner and sometimes you have to put more money down.

Is it a private sale or a dealer? If private I would pay for them to take it to a dealer to have them go through it. If it is a dealer and not a Ford dealer I would ask them to take it to a Ford dealer and have them go through it. But even if they give it a clean bill of health you are still rolling the dice. You just never know when something might break. With 84K on it you are coming up to the dreaded water pump failure point, but then again it may go another 84K with no problems.
I was able to get the 185k from my 2011 with no water pump failure, luckily.

t is being sold from a Ford dealer, and has a history of all repairs and maintenance being done at Ford dealerships as well. The crappy thing with the user car market is availability and my price point at the moment. Unless you pay $35k+, I can't find anything with less than 65k miles on it.

I have a 2016 Platinum with 43k miles, it doesn't get driven much lately. The first 30,000 miles was when it had all it's problems, front brakes @ 5k, engine top fuel system replaced @ 10k, steering replaced @ 28k, PTU replaced @ 29k, roof rail replaced @18k, and other assorted time wasters - luckily it was all repaired on the Warranty. Since we moved to a hotter climate the gas mileage has gone all to hell tho, short drives in hot weather.
If it were not for my original Warranty, my Extended ESP 5-year Warranty and my newest Extended Extended ESP 4-year Warranty I would not own it. These cars have so much electronic wizardly it's scary.
However, it's a nice car to drive, the front seats can massage your back, the digital dashboard is nice and it looks good.
Just for kicks last month I asked Carvana what they would offer me for it and their offer was $29,000, amazing. The window sticker was over $62k, new.

So, at the very least get the PTU checked and oil in it changed, have a mechanic check the steering rack for wear/noise and the water pump for leaks. Make sure the recalls are all completed too. Good luck.

I have a 2016 Platinum with 43k miles, it doesn't get driven much lately. The first 30,000 miles was when it had all it's problems, front brakes @ 5k, engine top fuel system replaced @ 10k, steering replaced @ 28k, PTU replaced @ 29k, roof rail replaced @18k, and other assorted time wasters - luckily it was all repaired on the Warranty. Since we moved to a hotter climate the gas mileage has gone all to hell tho, short drives in hot weather.
If it were not for my original Warranty, my Extended ESP 5-year Warranty and my newest Extended Extended ESP 4-year Warranty I would not own it. These cars have so much electronic wizardly it's scary.
However, it's a nice car to drive, the front seats can massage your back, the digital dashboard is nice and it looks good.
Just for kicks last month I asked Carvana what they would offer me for it and their offer was $29,000, amazing. The window sticker was over $62k, new.

So, at the very least get the PTU checked and oil in it changed, have a mechanic check the steering rack for wear/noise and the water pump for leaks. Make sure the recalls are all completed too. Good luck.

Thanks, that's what I'm looking to hear is some information from other owners. I was going to have oil and PTU fluid changed first thing if I purchased it. I'm also getting pricing on the ESP from here and the program that my credit union offers as well.

Thanks, that's what I'm looking to hear is some information from other owners. I was going to have oil and PTU fluid changed first thing if I purchased it. I'm also getting pricing on the ESP from here and the program that my credit union offers as well.
Many members have said to avoid 3rd party warranties. Compare the one offered by the Credit Union carefully with the Ford ESP. It is advisable to get the first day rental option. I believe that the one offered here has a better payment plan as well.

Peter

Many members have said to avoid 3rd party warranties. Compare the one offered by the Credit Union carefully with the Ford ESP. It is advisable to get the first day rental option. I believe that the one offered here has a better payment plan as well.

Peter
I'm going to compare everything carefully. I reached out to blwnsmoke last night through PM, just waiting to hear back

I'm going to compare everything carefully. I reached out to blwnsmoke last night through PM, just waiting to hear back
I have nearly 70K Miles on mine-I bought it new. It has been the most trouble free vehicle I've ever owned.

Back