• Register Today It's free!

2016 XLT stalls won't restart

Shakebaker69

Reaction score
City, State
Houston, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 XLT
I have a 2016 with 132k miles. In the last 4 months , 3 different times it's stalled and wouldn't restart for about 30 minutes approximately. The engine would turn over and try to start but sounded like it was about to but just not fire all the way up.
The first time it was after driving about hour in my driveway while I sat a few minutes checking my phone. The 2nd time in a drive through lane after driving maybe 15 minutes. The third time after just starting it at the grocery store.
I had it in to the ford dealership and they ran all the diagnostics and found no codes or any issues. I've been lucky it's happened in places where it didn't cause an issue of a stall in traffic or something. Any ideas on what may causes this ? It just sputters for a few seconds and then dies. Then won't restart but when it does it acts like nothing is wrong at all. Drives fine other wise. Just worried one day it will happen is rush hour traffic or where I have to get it towed.
Anyone had something similar or could throw out a suggestion in the issue ?
Thanks

Oh also no check engine light has ever come on before it happened or during. Just at a loss what to check or do next since it's been so random

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
FYI, the 2016 Explorer had issues with the throttle body. I'm not saying that is your issue, but just wanted to mention it.

Peter

Posted on another no start thread. Throttle Body solved my no start issue.
No stalling, just the crank and no start. No need to reset the ECM, just the relearn from the battery disconnect.

Back