2017 PIU IPC issue?

KayGee

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Farmington, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
'16 & '17 PIU
The IPC in my 17 is displaying an image of the vehicle on the right side of the display in the IPC. It used to display the status of the AUX switches. Not sure what happened or when. I tried reverting to the original as built data in the IPC and BCM, but can't get the AUX switch status back.

Any suggestions what caused the display to change and how to get it back?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

As a matter of fact, I know how to bring the IPC component back through some trial & error deduction between as-built differences on a couple of vehicles I'm working on, but it's the earlier model (edit, forgot to clarify year, and it looks like you have the 16+). Maybe this will help someone looking to enable Aux display on earlier model.

720-01-02 x..1 xxxx xxzz

0=stupid car picture
1=aux status display

I'm going to hazard a guess that the bit you need to change is somewhere in 720-01-01, from the other properties which moved there. It would also be one of the "x"s, since we know what the other bits do (compass, AWD, autolock/autolamp menu items, autounlock menu item). Odds are also good that some of these bits turn on the menu items for blind spot & cross traffic and rear park aid.

720-01-01 x..- --xx -xzz

Another edit: Seems that "0" is usually the disabled value, 1/5/6 are the typical enabled values if it's an on/off type of bit.

I reverted all of my IPC settings back to as built and for some reason I can't get the aux switch image back in the cluster. All of the IPC data in my 17 matches my 16 and the IPC in the 16 displays the aux switch status just fine.

I was thinking something in the BCM of the 17 may have caused the issue. I'm going to try reverting the BCM back to it's original asbuilt and see what happens.

Be careful conflating HEX (0-9,A-F) and binary/bit (0/1) edits. Changing from one hex value to another can turn on/off more than one underlying bit (ex: hex=binary, 0=0000, 1=0001, 5=0101, 6=0110).

I don't think you'd have to worry about the BCM having values which would cause it to go away. The IPC and FCDIM, as I've learned through trial & error, can be enabled to display menu items and options which are not functional because modules either don't have those options enabled, or the modules for those functions aren't even present.

To this very example, I have the Aux status displayed although I haven't figured out the BCM values yet, just because I hate the stupid drawing of a vehicle that doesn't do anything. Even if the image changed when a door opened, headlights were on (or burned-out), or there was another status condition, I'd leave it alone, but it's so dumb to just have a flat drawing of a vehicle in the middle of the instrument cluster.

As far as the edits go, I'm just comparing the known differences as deduced in the ForScan edit list, which is a good place to start with an educated guess. There's not much point in trying every value for every octet when Ford seems to stick with just a couple of values for turning features off and on. The 2015 & earlier Explorers/PIUs seem to mostly use 0 for disabled and 1 for enabled on many of the hex values, but the 2016 and later seem to use additional values, maybe to have more robust error checking as far as checksum values.

Confusing part is that the IPC as built on my 16 and 17 were/are the same, but the 16 displays the aux switch status in the IPC and the 17 the vehicle image.

Do the aux switches still work? Did you change anything related to the SCCM?

Not sure if AUX switches ever worked (don't have anything hooked up to them now), but I know the status was displayed in IPC at one time - the switch doesn't indicate if it is on/off, so the only way to know if they were on/off was the display.

Only change to SCCM was for 5 signal flashes (on both 16 and 17). Only other changes to modules was HVAC reprogramming, but I hope that wouldn't have affected the IPC.

Ended up finding it at 720-04-02 - value should have been xxxx-6xxx, but was xxxx-4xxx (6 shows the aux switch status and 4 shows the vehicle in IPC display)

I must have mislabeled some of the as built files that I saved off with Forscan and thought they were the originals, but they weren't. It probably didn't help that I switched from my 17" screen laptop to a 10" screen slate - the slate is way easier than a big laptop, but trying to open several windows and do comparisons on such a small screen makes for some very small text.

Glad to hear you got the aux display back, and it'll probably help someone with a newer PIU to know the value to change.

I've been messing around with so many as-built comparisons & modifications, I finally started a changelog for what I'm experimenting with, I've made wrong and confusing edits on a couple occasions too many.

I'm still trying to get my aux switch upgrade to function, but I found the mostly-undocumented module and what I think are likely the required edits.

Back