2nd Gen Front Skid Plate, TurboExplorer | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2nd Gen Front Skid Plate, TurboExplorer

So went through and thought about everything as far as making some goes.
How does $129.99 sound for everything. That would include it all fully welded up just like you see mine in the one above and also powder coated. Also would include four grade eight bolts, to bolt it to the frame. So $129.99 would get you everything all you do is bolt it on and be done! Figured that would be easier for lots of people with out a welders, and access to powder coating.
Let me know of any takers and if there are a few I will get a jig set up and we can be in business.

Guess I should note it is $129.99 for it PLUS shipping. That shouldn't be to bad though. I'll ask about costs on that this week.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No cross member in case you take a hit right in the middle???

I did think about that. That was in the original design. But honestly it is so strong I am not sure you could get it to bend, unless the whole weight of the rig fell on it. Where I wanted to put the cross member is at the bend and it is right in the way of the radiator. There is about 2" to the bottom of the radiator. It allows for some flex of the skid plate. I lifted the whole front of the truck off the ground with a floor jack in three places of it and it didn't move, well flexed then came right back. I can find a way to brace it if that's what people are wanting, that shouldn't be a problem.

I did think about that. That was in the original design. But honestly it is so strong I am not sure you could get it to bend, unless the whole weight of the rig fell on it.

That's exactly what would happen though.. Imagine picking your way through some rocks.. Tires roll up a rock and the skidplate clears that nasty pointy rock in front, until the tire comes down the other side of a rock and that one right in front of you goes straight for the center of your skidplate.. You might see some damage then man.

Not trying to sound all critical, I really like this design, and the price you set is excellent :thumbsup: I would just consider getting at least one crossmember in there somewhere around the front to stiffen it up.

Maybe an X. Either way, it's good work.

K I'll get some pics. In the front where it angles up would be easy to put one but thats not where anyone would really be worried. Its the flat area which is where the radiator is above. Not sure there is the room but maybe behind the radiator? Will have to check for clearance between that and the lower rad hose which on the V8's comes straight out for a bit then goes up. After its on tonight will be able to see where we could get one in there a lot easier.

Here are some install pics. It really turned out great. I put it on last night it was dark and the camera on my phone is poor in bad light. Hope these pics will do for now until I can get it on some rocks.

Before skid plate view.
1109001929.jpg

After its on.
1109002007.jpg

1109002007a.jpg

I did put some 5/8" heater hose around the transmission cooler lines so as to not have any rub problems on the rubber lines.
1109001946.jpg

Angle makes it look funny but it is 2" to the bottom of the radiator.
1109002009.jpg

It is 3/4" to 1" to the bottom of the Transmission cooler lines.
1109002012.jpg

Lower 5.0L radiator hose.
1109002013.jpg

Looking from the drivers side of the skid plate across to the passenger side. View is between the skid plate and the radiator.
1109002013a.jpg

All in all VERY happy with the way that it turned out.
1109002012a.jpg

I did look for places to add a cross brace. there really isn't any room unless you make the skid plate taller, which wasn't my plan. I like it being up as high as it will go for clearance reasons. Under the radiator there is only 2" of room so adding a 1 1/2" tube would be to close in my opinion. There could be one in the very back but if it runs all the way across it will be in the way of changing the oil. I did not build it all out of 1/4" stuff for a reason. This is just for the bumps and rubs that it may see from time to time. Most everyone is running without a skid plate of any kind. This one is a far cry from that. Way more protection than 99% of us will ever need or use.

hey wus up, love the new attachment you made to your ride and i see youll make for other how much will you charge i just sign up here, want to add something like that to my 00' explore 2wd 4door i add a new block but want to protect it as much and th coolent system too.

hey wus up, love the new attachment you made to your ride and i see youll make for other how much will you charge i just sign up here, want to add something like that to my 00' explore 2wd 4door i add a new block but want to protect it as much and th coolent system too.

I have moved to WY for awhile to go to school at WyoTech. So I don't have access to the shop I used to make them. I'm sorry but am unable to make any at this time. If anyone is interested I can send you a small write up on what I used and how I did it.

Thanks guys for the good comments.

can somebody...

Buils me one of these exactly the same????
PM me, want one asap...

I have moved to WY for awhile to go to school at WyoTech. 1 1/2 yrs. So I don't have access to the shop I used to make them. I'm sorry but am unable to make any at this time. If anyone is interested I can send you a small write up on what I used and how I did it.

Thanks guys for the good comments.

Here are some recent pictures of the skid plate doing its job of protecting the bottom of the radiator, transmission cooler lines and power steering cooler.

100_2257.JPG

100_2249.JPG

100_2231.JPG

100_2265.JPG

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Looks good. I just got my plate put on a few months back. Haven't had to test it out...yet.

Back