2nd row bucket seats | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2nd row bucket seats

I'm reading all of these threads and finding them GREAT HELP since I know most of you own the Explorer. Getting rid of my Honda Odyssey FINALLY and getting explorer. SIX in our family. Four kids, 2 adults. Now, usually, when a family trip arises, my husband will bring his car so there is sometimes FIVE in my car, sometimes less if he takes a couple.... I test drove the one with the bench. XLT, 202A, white plat color. I loved it. Brought my 3 year old with me and her booster seat was fine behind the driver. I was going over in my head where the others would sit. My 10 year old can sit in front now without booster (though, I know it's safer in back but she mostly sits in front now). The 2 boys will love the 3rd row. So, the one I drove has the BENCH. He showed me how to flip it up and I thought "gee, I could just permanently leave it up because nobody would sit there and then the boys could just jump in and out easily. Is that practical??? I can't find ANY bucket "packages" that aren't at least $48K. I did the "build it" with the XLT and it was only about $37K with the buckets in the back. Don't you think I should just get the buckets?? I didn't even realize they had buckets until I researched. The dealership is waiting on me to put my offer in on the one with the bench. They have no idea i've been calling every town/state in the northeast!! I live in Massachusetts. I'm thinking looking at the bucket seat pictures, that makes most sense to me. They each have a seat of their own even if my daughter sits in front. They can access their way thru the middle. Why wouldn't more people want this??? I would NEVER get the console. I need access way... and I don't care about that middle seat in the second row because my kids need to be separated or they whack each other around too much!!! Are more going to come out?? Should I wait?? Any input would be appreciated...thank you!!

Where in MA are you?? I have a black XLT with the buckets that I custom ordered and got back in September. I have 2 boys, 1 in a booster and the other in a front facing seat. I usually leave the 3rd row folded down but we have used it many times already. If we are close neighbors I'd be happy to let you see my Ex! Could make your decision a little easier. I know when I was looking there wasn't a dealer in the state that has one on the lot.
PS... I got rid of a VW Routan for my Ex and couldn't be happier!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks all!!! I actually ended up ORDERING a White Sport :) :) :)
I searched HIGH and LOW and really ended up NEEDING the 2nd row bucket and my husband said the engine on the sport was the way to go. So, I got the 2nd row buckets, dual moonroof and the 400A package (did not need the bells and whistles of the additional stuff). So, the price wasn't that bad!! I just PM Crystal to try and track it for me. Thank you all for your replies. I didn't realize I had to be on the site to get the replies. I thought they went to my email...never realized anybody responded. Thank you!!

Needed to replace my MDX and went about the whole car shopping a little different. Looked at MDX, EX, Volvo xc90, highlander and Buick. I have two kids 14 and 8. Just had my son sit in the back of them all, at 6'4" and size 15 shoes we needed something he can grow into. The sliding buckets give an extra 2+ inches. We've had ours a week now and really like the buckets with the center console, getting into the back is just the touch of a button and the seat folds up for access to the rear seats. Kids have too much "stuff" to go without the console.

I ordered a sport with rear bucket seats and no console. Does anyone have information on whether there is any kind of cup holder accessible for the 2nd row with my configuration? I don't pick it up until next week and appreciate the info.

... I just PM Crystal to try and track it for me...

Hi blushbrush,

I responded to your PM; check out your inbox for my response. :)

...We've had ours a week now and really like the buckets with the center console, getting into the back is just the touch of a button and the seat folds up for access to the rear seats. Kids have too much "stuff" to go without the console.

Glad to hear that your Explorer is a great fit, Nairb4190!

I ordered a sport with rear bucket seats and no console. Does anyone have information on whether there is any kind of cup holder accessible for the 2nd row with my configuration? I don't pick it up until next week and appreciate the info.

Hi dfrosted,

I don't see second row cupholders listed specifically for those without the console; maybe some of the folks on the forum will respond with how they handle beverages in the second row. :)

Crystal

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:
http://www.amazon.com/b?ie=UTF8&node=318296011
:D:D:D:D:D

all joking aside, I've not even looked in the back of our sport without console to see....

probably not needed as the wife won't let anything that could 'soil' her new car in :)

on edit - the doors actually have a molded in cup holder - not very deep - but there is one on each 2nd row door...

I don't know if the have changed the interior much since 2011 but I have a 2nd bench seat and aside from the fold down armrest, there is a small cup holder in each rear door and 2 upholders in a flip down door in the rear of the front console.

Peter

Do the 2nd row bucket seats have those child car seat latches?

I am thinking of getting them when I order/purchase my first Explorer (yay!) and would want to make sure I can toss my grand kids in car seats into those buckets, should the need arise.

Also, if there is a hole when the seats all fold down, can't you just fill up the hole with something? Or lay a piece of plywood or something over it? I don't see the problem with that.

The 2nd row buckets both have latch anchors. Only one seat in the third row has them however.

Thanks for the replies regarding the cup holders. Mine should be in Monday. I'm now wishing that the console would have been available for the sport. I see that some have successfully used the flex rear console and some aftermarket ones. Let the search begin.

Thanks for the replies regarding the cup holders. Mine should be in Monday. I'm now wishing that the console would have been available for the sport. I see that some have successfully used the flex rear console and some aftermarket ones. Let the search begin.
The console is one item that is now available to be ordered for the 2014 Sport. Unfortunately, unless things have changed, you are not able to order it as an option for already built vehicles.
Good luck in your quest.

Peter

I never wanted the cup holders because it defeats my purpose which is the only reason why I ordered the bucket seats and that is so that there is access to the third row. I have 4 kids so I really need that access and I use booster seats right now which each have their own cup holders and arm rests on the booster chairs so they won't miss the arm rests that aren't there either. How long did it take everybody to get theirs after order?? I'm checking with Crystal but she says i'm in the queue. Order date was 4/1 (well, the date I ordered from the dealership, not quite sure when it actually went thru to ford...hopefully not too much after :D

I ordered mine 2/28 it's scheduled to arrive on 4/30. So it's right at two months.

... How long did it take everybody to get theirs after order?? I'm checking with Crystal but she says i'm in the queue...

I promise it will be worth the wait, blushbrush. As you know, I'm happy to keep you updated on your status; just send me a PM when you're ready for news. :)

I ordered mine 2/28 it's scheduled to arrive on 4/30. So it's right at two months.

Wow, you're getting close to delivery, dfrosted! Be sure to let us all know when you bring your new ride home.

Crystal

Yes, that's what they said, 6-8 weeks. Time is draaaaaaaggggggiiiiiing though! I'm sure well worth the wait!! Thanks!! :biggthump

2nd row bench vs. buckets?

I was wondering how other people felt about this? Me and my wife have been back and forth. We like the captains chairs but you lose that middle seat and We are basically buying an SUV with 3 rows and seats 6. Has anyone gotten the buckets and regretted it? I don't really have more then 4 people in my car at one time , I'm getting it basically for the cargo space. So it's not a HUGE deal for me.

I love the buckets and so do my kids, 11 and 15. It makes access to the 3rd row much easier and like the fact that the buckets move back giving a little more room.

I was wondering how other people felt about this? Me and my wife have been back and forth. We like the captains chairs but you lose that middle seat and We are basically buying an SUV with 3 rows and seats 6. Has anyone gotten the buckets and regretted it? I don't really have more then 4 people in my car at one time , I'm getting it basically for the cargo space. So it's not a HUGE deal for me.
I have the bench seat in mine and I can tell you that I think it would be next to impossible to have 3 adults in the second row. There isn't much space in the middle. The only drawback I can see with having the 2nd row buckets is that unless you also get the console, there will be a bit of an opening when the seats are folded. That can always be addressed by putting a sturdy cover of some sort over it.
Also, if you plan to carry anything heavy, make sure it is well distributed or better yet get a sheet of plywood to fit the back. There have been a few members that have had the seat backs crack. They don't appear to be very sturdy.
Decision, decisions. Let us know what you decide on. :):thumbsup:

Peter

I have buckets and center console. No regrets. More comfortable and more leg room. Once in a great while do we have more than 4 people in the Ex and have to use third row.

Back