2wd lift? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2wd lift?

hghschlexp

Reaction score
i have a 93 xlt 2wd. does dick cepek have a lift for the 2 wheel drive explorers cause when i looked it up it said 4wd. i know, why get a lift on a 2wd, i dont intend on taking it for some serious off-road action. on the highway you guys just keep it in 2wd anyways right. i just had a couple friends get a lift one their trucks and i wanna get one to. i want to try to get the 5.5" if possible.

There are several manufactures who make pre-runner lifts (2WD). Fabtech is the first that comes to mind. I know there are at least two others out there.

From what I understand Dick Cepek does not offer a 2 wheel drive kit for your year Explorer. I just got my 2wd Explorer lifted 6 inches in suspension using a Skyjacker complete kit. It came with everything (including complete rear leaf springs-no blocks or add a leafs) I still had to purchase the shocks, dropped pitman arm, and steel braided brake lines.

Word of advice: Lifting a truck is a very expenisive thing (with the Explorer) and I would think about how much you are ready to spend on the lift! I left the shop with a 5,000.00 dollar whole in my pocket book! You have to think about new tires, the lift kit, pitman arm, brake lines, installation, new gears, etc.... I look forward to hearing more about your explorer. 2wd's can have lots of fun out there to. Reply to Trckmagik@aol.com or Brian_E_Green@compusa.com

The 5.5" lift is a pretty decent lift for the 4wd Explorers so making one happen for a 2 wheel drive shouldn't be to hard. For the rear, I would recomend using the superlift system for a 4x4 truck. For the Front, I would say use the superlift coils, dropped pitman arm, supper runner stearing if you want that, radius arm brackets (I don't know if the 2wd, and 4wd are interchangable, I have not had a chance to see how the axles look on the front of a 2wd Explorer). I would try finding a place that will sell you some pre-bent I-Beams instead of drop down brackets. Then for traction, I would say getting some 33's with an ARB in the rear would help. It is possible with what you are doing to swap in a 4x4 transfercase and have a low range. You just would not have any front drive system. For 33's the best ratio that seems to work the best is 4.56. The other option up front if you do happen to want to spend some more cash, and are good at fabricating stuff is to put a solid Axle from a Classic Bronco under there. The other option is to buy a Dana 35 from a Junked Explorer and stick that under there both of these options are probably lots of work.

Let us know what you do!

------------------
Ryan Penner
1992 Explorer Sport

Back