3.5L EcoBoost aftermarket programming | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

3.5L EcoBoost aftermarket programming

Norad

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Edgecomb Maine
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 XLT
I know that it is hard to get an answer, but, I have to ask about the yet to be built 2013 Sport with the 3.5L ecoboost. Are there any programming companies out there planning on giving us more power and economy? From all that I have read the HP numbers are going to be almost the same as the F150, 350 vs. 365. Torque numbers seems to be projected low on the Sport at an est. 350 lbs-tq while the F150 is in 421 lbs-tq. Also I have been hearing from some of hte F150 guys that they are getting better fuel economy with tuning and higher octane fuel. I am not sure if it is cost effective in the end. I just can't wait to take a test drive in the new Sport and see if I will be ordering this fall or spring.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Livernois Motorpsorts will most have something soon. They have tunes for the Taurus and F150 and they move out good, very good!

I know a tune will wake up the 3.5. I`m wondering how much the transfer case and front and rear diff can handle. I have a feeling that the diffs will be the limiting factor and are the reason why Ford kept the 5000lbs tow rating with the extra power.

I know a tune will wake up the 3.5. I`m wondering how much the transfer case and front and rear diff can handle. I have a feeling that the diffs will be the limiting factor and are the reason why Ford kept the 5000lbs tow rating with the extra power.

That is a really good point has ford released any of the tech specs yet about the running gear of the Sport? I have no idea what any of the vehicles have in them for components any more. I'm livin' the glory days of my Gen II where parts didn't break unless you hit them with a bat. :D

That is a really good point has ford released any of the tech specs yet about the running gear of the Sport? I have no idea what any of the vehicles have in them for components any more. I'm livin' the glory days of my Gen II where parts didn't break unless you hit them with a bat. :D

I can tell you that there is a Taurus SHO running 12.1's at full weight in the 1/4 and has had 0 issues and I know of a Flex running 12.9's with 0 issues. Most people that have the Ecoboost SHO, Flex or F150 have only done tunes, cai, exhaust and meth injection.

If there is any "weak" point at the moment, it's the turbos as they max out fairly quick. Livernois Motorsports has recently either modifed the stock turbos or has upgraded to larger turbos in a SHO, so I'll keep everyone up to date on what breaks first, if anything:D

If there is a current tuner for the 3.5L naturally aspirated V6 please provide the link for more info.

Does anyone know if they have a tune for the 3.7L V6 naturally aspirated?.....thats the stock motor in the Police Utility (Explorer)

I'm still kinda concerned about torque steer with an EcoBoost Explorer.

If there is a current tuner for the 3.5L naturally aspirated V6 please provide the link for more info.

Does anyone know if they have a tune for the 3.7L V6 naturally aspirated?.....thats the stock motor in the Police Utility (Explorer)

I'm still kinda concerned about torque steer with an EcoBoost Explorer.

I don't think that torque steer will have any effect on an AWD platform?

I don't think that torque steer will have any effect on an AWD platform?

I drove an early version of the EcoBoost Ex and it did have torque steer.

My 2011 4WD Limited has torque steer, remember its not AWD, its FWD until the system feels you need the rear wheels engaged.

There is a thread on it.

In the 2013 MY Ford beefed up the Power Transfer Unit and changed the software under WOT so more power goes to the rear wheels because of torque steer on 2011/12 Explorers.

I drove an early version of the EcoBoost Ex and it did have torque steer.

My 2011 4WD Limited has torque steer, remember its not AWD, its FWD until the system feels you need the rear wheels engaged.

There is a thread on it.

In the 2013 MY Ford beefed up the Power Transfer Unit and changed the software under WOT so more power goes to the rear wheels because of torque steer on 2011/12 Explorers.

It's funny how I was told by a little "birdy" ;) over a year ago that the police versions were going to have the 3.7 and the public is now finding out...

I can email Livernois and see if they offer anything? I know they tune the Flex's, SHO's and F150 3.5 EcoBoost. They are waiting for a Sport owner to drop off their whip so they can work up a tune.

The Sport is "4wd" not a true AWD as it should be(from what I learned). Weird considering the Flex and SHO are AWD?

It's funny how I was told by a little "birdy" ;) over a year ago that the police versions were going to have the 3.7 and the public is now finding out...

There was a press release over a year ago that mentioned the interceptor getting the 3.7, why would you think that the public is just now finding out?

There is mention of the 3.7 toward the end of this article (nov 2010)
http://media.ford.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=33595

and then here they say the explorer will have a 3.7, and the sedan will have the 3.5 ecoboost (mar 2011)
http://media.ford.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=34195

They supposedly further custom tuned the AWD for the Sport for traction control reasons due to the stiffer suspension and added horsies.

From the press release:
"The Explorer Sport EcoBoost engine matches Taurus SHO for output and the Terrain Management System has been specifically calibrated to optimize increased power – regardless of the road or conditions."

Yes I drove the 2013 SHO and didnt notice Torque steer....obviously different programming between the EPAS, AWD, and the engine.

Im interested to hear what the new SPORT owners think after they drive theirs.

I'll definitely be posting videos + review when it comes!

What are you looking at for ETA?

3-4 weeks?

What are you looking at for ETA?

3-4 weeks?

I hope so :) I'm renting a car tomorrow for 1 month, so I'm really hoping I don't have to extend beyond that. As of now there is still no scheduled build or delivery date (that I'm aware of)

There was a press release over a year ago that mentioned the interceptor getting the 3.7, why would you think that the public is just now finding out?

There is mention of the 3.7 toward the end of this article (nov 2010)
http://media.ford.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=33595

and then here they say the explorer will have a 3.7, and the sedan will have the 3.5 ecoboost (mar 2011)
http://media.ford.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=34195

I take back what I said. There was speculation of what would be the actual engines, I was told by someone(sgt1411)who tested them what the actual engines were before it was officially announced, if I'm not mistaken.

I did receive the power specs and mpg figures for the 2013 Ford Fusion today. Ford is on a roll with their new models!

Originally Posted by Sgt1411

It has torque steer thats for sure. I did not try the differant terrain management modes or give my Sport a good test drive yet but a good tune might help that.
I am out of town for the next couple of weeks and Livernois Motorsports is near me. If they need a Sport I will bring it there. I have a tune on my Ecoboost F-150 and I wont go without it for long when they have one for the Explorer Sport.

Ya I was afraid of that Torque Steer.

I thought it would be programmed out with TMS and EPAS but maybe not.

Does Livernois Motorsports make a tune for the naturally aspirated 3.5L V6?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There is nothing listed on Livernois Motorsports for the Explorer. Maybe after they get a Ecoboost Explorer and are able to unlock the ECM it will be available on the other engines.
Livernois, Hennessy and others are already doing V6 Ecoboost tunes. It will just be a matter of time and the Sport will have 50-70 more horsepower and better transmission shifting.

Back