3 bar map sensor | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

3 bar map sensor

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What is the purpose of the 3 Bar Map Sensor?

Does anyone use one of these with the Lund tunes?

Why is Livernois recommending them and Lund hasn't?

What is the purpose of the 3 Bar Map Sensor?

Does anyone use one of these with the Lund tunes?

Why is Livernois recommending them and Lund hasn't?

The 3 bar MAP sensor is required if you are tuned for it; more boost as current OEM sensor has its limits. You cannot run it otherwise. The motor and drive train wouldn't let you back out of a driveway if installed and not tuned for it.

3 bar map install?

Hello everyone! Has anybody installed the three bar map sensor? I just ordered one and it came yesterday, but it was just a box with the sensor in it (no installation instructions). I am confident I can get it done, and it seems like it should not be very difficult, however I want to be extremely careful to get it right the first time. I already have updated tunes sitting in my inbox, but I'm hesitant to move forward until I really know what I'm doing. I swear I read about installation on this board once before, but now can't seem to find it when I search. So can someone give me a quick step-by-step?

Now for an embarrassing question - the email with the new tunes did say not to replace the sensor before the TB. What does this mean?

Thanks for your help!

Who did you get the 3bar map sensor from and tune? I'd would work with whoever you are getting the tune from to make sure you are doing whatever they recommend.

To answer your question, I'm assuming the email is referring to the throttle body (TB). Again, respond back to whoever emailed you to get clarification. Looking forward to your results after you get it all worked out!

Thanks - that's what I figured TB was...but just wanted to be sure. It's my daily driver so I want to be extra cautious :) once I take the "aero-shield" off it will probably be obvious. Though, I have yet to do even that, so hopefully that is intuitive also (so any tips here would be helpful).

I'm also interested to see what the results are like. Running the 93 octane tune (SCT) alone was enough to make me smile every time I step on the gas.

Now for an embarrassing question - the email with the new tunes did say not to replace the sensor before the TB. What does this mean?

Thanks for your help!
I remember recently reading a post that indicated that there are two MAP sensor locations. The person had installed the 3 bar in the wrong location initially and, of course, the result wasn't good. They discovered the error, swapped locations and all was well. I wasn't able to come up with the post. Best to contact your vendor for clarification.

Remove oil cap than engine cover. If you're looking at the top of the motor towards the middle of the windshield there is a black sensor. This is the stock sensor. You can tell it's the right one because it has ONE screw and is on TOP of the manifold. Unscrew single screw (forget what size I used) and gently pull stock sensor out after unplugging from the wire harness. Install new sensor and plug harness back in. Do not start vehicle till after you flash your new 3 bar tune. Hope this helps.

Thank you for the easy to follow set of instructions! That was exactly what I was looking for. I just needed a little bit of assurance. The only obstacle I ran across, was not having the right size to take out that single screw (T15) so I had to take a side trip to Lowes.

I was able to start the car and back it out of the driveway when I was all done, but I have yet to really drive it. I don't really expect a whole lot of difference from running just the tune, until I can get to the downpipes and thermostat.

The only thing that I can say I was concerned with, was how the sensor arrived at my house. It was placed in a box just big enough to fit it, about 3.5 inches square. This was placed in a box much larger for shipping, about a 9 inch cube. There was no paper or any packaging of any kind, so the smaller box inside was rattling all around. I am admittedly no expert, but it seems to me that something like a sensor should be packed more carefully. Also, there were no instructions on where to put it, though I did not really expect any for such a specialized part.

At the end of the day though, this all turned out very well. I really appreciate everyone who gave me advice. This board is such an amazing resource!

I just did my 3 bar upgrade. $46 from rock auto and a free tune from torrie. Differences are slight but may be smoother with more pull on the top. Over all worth it. 0-60 videos show mid to high 5s on a 93 tune.

Map sensor question

So I installed the new thermostat and 3-bar map sensor refilled coolant and started car.. Bad bad bad
It was not happy
Service light traction control lights and running very rough. Changed out map sensor to stock and all is well..
Should I get my Livernois tune before I install new 3bar map sensor?

I would think that you have to do both at the same time. Stock tune and 3 bar sensor likely won't work.

You need a tune to use the 3 bar map. Do your research before you cause some real harm to your vehicle.

You need a tune to use the 3 bar map. Do your research before you cause some real harm to your vehicle.

Thanks for the info. But maybe I should have posted that part. :thumbsup:

I have a tune Livernois v3 tune I'm looking to upgrade to V5 and as I have posted in the past from what I understand in order to upgrade to v5 I also need to upgrade thermostat and map sensor.

And just to be clear I got a new 3 bar map sensor and evenflo high performance thermostat from Livernois.

Remove oil cap than engine cover. If you're looking at the top of the motor towards the middle of the windshield there is a black sensor. This is the stock sensor. You can tell it's the right one because it has ONE screw and is on TOP of the manifold. Unscrew single screw (forget what size I used) and gently pull stock sensor out after unplugging from the wire harness. Install new sensor and plug harness back in. Do not start vehicle till after you flash your new 3 bar tune. Hope this helps.

This is what I was looking for....

Back