347 1998 Explorer; dream or tuning nightmare? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

347 1998 Explorer; dream or tuning nightmare?

redavis460

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Atlanta, Georgia
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Sport
Hello everyone, first post on this forum; so here goes!-

I'm putting together a 1998 Explorer Sport using a 1998 5.0/4R70W donor vehicle. I'm going together with an M5R2 (Mazda) manual trans and the engine will be built as a 347 with @10.5:1 compression with a Comp Cams 35-312-8 276HR camshaft. As it stands now, the plan is to attempt to get it running with the current 19lb EV6 injectors and the stock headers by observing a maximum redline/rev limit of 2800-3000 rpm; as budget permits, Torque Monsters and perhaps 39lb injectors, along with perhaps a larger throttle body and mass air meter will hopefully take it to a 6000-6500 maximum redline (I'm currently planning to run the GT40P heads and intake with some form of aftermarket heads in the future.)

As of now, it seems that I am hitting a wall with the NRT1 / ML2-473 EEC-V control module. I have heard good things about the Moates Quarterhorse, but cannot seem to get an answer on whether or not this PCM is supported by them. I have heard from another forum that the 4-bank CRAI8/CRAJ0 (98 Mustang 5.0L) PCM may be a good substitute for the current PCM and was hoping to get feedback from any contributors here.

Up to this point, in my ignorance my main concern was in fooling the NRT1 into thinking that the 4R70W was still attached but was in neutral or park; it seemed that I had come pretty close in theory to doing this in the wiring harness (my only problem is that the M5R2 I'm using doesn't use an output shaft speed sensor); however, this brings up another concern with the aforementioned CRAI8/CRAJ0 PCM- do they use the same ABS- processed VSS signal that the Explorer uses?

The engine is due to be ready in the next 30 days, and I'm trying to bring my learning curve up as quickly as possible (though I know it will take quite a bit of time). In the meantime, barring any responses, I'm considering as a minimum act compensating for the 15 per cent increase in displacement by increasing fuel pressure by the same amount, though obviously other factors are at work (especially the cam profile) but hopefully this will be enough to fire the engine up from it's initial cold start (though it's at least my guess as to what the MAF will do with this increased fuel pressure when the engine starts and it comes online).

In conclusion, does anyone know anything about these Mustang PCM's or whether or not I just load these "bins" (?) into the Quarter horse and go from there? I'm guessing these PCM's came stock with DIS ignitions and PATS? Suggestions for a rapidly bewildered forum member in the Atlanta area? Thanks!!!

Stick with the explorer computer, you'll have to get a computer tune anyway, and the tuner can delete the trans functions so the pcm wouldn't think anything is wrong. Talk to Jah81592 here on the forum about doing the tuning for you. He did turdles tuning on his 347 mountaineer, and has tuned a ton of other explorers from mild to wild. His website is www.hensonperformance.com

edit: James is even in your area so you could get it tuned in person.

Awesome info, Techieman33, and thanks for the fast response. I'll give him a call!

Back