35" KM2s...installed ! ! | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

35" KM2s...installed ! !

I did alot of trimming today to make those 33x13.50s fully turn. No problems with trimming the front bumper at all. But the back of the inner wheel wells had to be cut down alot. And i mean alot. You're gonna have to do alot of trimming in there to squeeze those 35s in there. I'll post up pics later.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

yup, you will have to trim up the corner of your front bumper toward the front of the wheel well for sure, and take off that little chin scoop thing thats on the bottom.

Been planning on it. Going to make a real skid plate and try to tie it all in together. I think this can be done without making it looked "chopped up."

I did alot of trimming today to make those 33x13.50s fully turn. No problems with trimming the front bumper at all. But the back of the inner wheel wells had to be cut down alot. And i mean alot. You're gonna have to do alot of trimming in there to squeeze those 35s in there. I'll post up pics later.

Interested in seeing how far you had to go. I have done some trimming also back there but I still get rubbing while turning with just a little articulation. I need to trim more. Maybe grab a 2x4 and do some pounding also.

I think it may be possible to keep most of my front bumper in place if I want to, but I've got a few ideas about how I want to do this. One idea does include keeping it if I can, but I need to get the wheels and tires on there first to really decide which way I'm going. I'm not just going to mount them and then go to hacking. It's all got to come together in one plan.

Then, I'll scrap it all and just sawzall everything!

Hugh, ask Chad how he cut for his 35's. Granted he had a Superlift, then coilovers and a body lift he still did quite a bit of cutting to clear for flex.

Like i said the most cutting i had to do was behind the front tire but these tires are also almost 14" wide so you may not have to do all that but heres the pics

IMG-20111212-00180-1-1-1.jpg

IMG-20111212-00178-1-1.jpg

Glad rust and salt aren't an issue for me. It's killing me that it's going to take so long to get the wheels. I'm just going to try to get the rack and pinion done in the meantime and a few other little things I've been meaning to do. I'm going to try to do a full write-up with good pictures on the rack and pinion replacement since I wasn't able to find one on here.

When I finally get the wheels and tires mounted, I'll try to do my best on showing a step by step process of trimming. I will be painting the step bars black and putting them back on. I may end up making sliders/step bars...still up in the air. I hope to get a skid plate done before the end of the year and will document that as well.

Time and money permitting, I'll be adding more armor underneath. Then gears in the spring, money permitting. Along with the ST plans, I want to have my '69 Cougar completely finished by Dec. 2012 except for the interior (which is still in good shape, just not the colors I want).

I'll set up a donation fund for those interested. :D

I tried to do a before and after but alot of pictures didnt turn out and i couldnt take working in 40 degree weather for multiple hours on end.

I feel like I need to go back to calculus for all these numbers. So just when I understood backspacing the guy at the shop starts warning me about offset! I'm not seeing that talked about anywhere. He says the wrong offset could put the wheel into my breaks. I want 15x8's and looked at a pair that comes with like a -19 offset, but didn't tell the backspacing. He's trying to push me to the 16's since the offset is 0 and what my factory wheels are now. I would hate to get the wheel size I want and they not work, but I'm sure I can figure this out with some help!

That's about 3.75" of backspacing. That should be fine. Which wheels exactly were you considering? They "probably" will fit but some 15s have caliper clearance issues in 15" sizes. There are a few guys running 15x8 with 4" of backspacing (more likely to be an issue that what you're looking at) with Cragar Soft 8s. If you're looking at Soft 8s with 3.75" backspacing, you're definitely good to go. If not those specific wheels, you're PROBABLY good to go. Then the only way to be sure is a test fitment and if they have to be ordered, most shops charge a restocking fee if they don't fit.

I feel like I need to go back to calculus for all these numbers. So just when I understood backspacing the guy at the shop starts warning me about offset! I'm not seeing that talked about anywhere. He says the wrong offset could put the wheel into my breaks. I want 15x8's and looked at a pair that comes with like a -19 offset, but didn't tell the backspacing. He's trying to push me to the 16's since the offset is 0 and what my factory wheels are now. I would hate to get the wheel size I want and they not work, but I'm sure I can figure this out with some help!

IMG-20111209-00167.jpg

15x10 with 4" backspacing. The inside of the wheel used to rub on the caliper pad retainer but never hits the caliper itself. If i could do it all over again i would go with a 15x8 with either 3.75" or 4" backspacing.

"That's what she said."

Yep, it was there so I had to take it. :bsnicker::wavey:

For an on-topic update...my wheels are scheduled to be delivered Wednesday. The order was being held up by the ******* center caps! I would have canceled the stupid things if I had known. I'll be starting 2012 on 35s!

In related news, I also got the rack and pinion finished today. Works beautifully, no leaks so far. Looks as if the alignment may be perfect based on my not-so-perfect laser method, but I'll still have it checked.

I also made my first visit to Harbor Freight last night. Got a few goodies. Holy cow, that place is cheap. I don't expect great quality out of the things I ordered but I'll update with what I got when they arrive.

You know we're gonna need to see some pictures.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

But, of course. I've been trying to be patient. Pictures will come when all is finished. :D

Back