3rd Row Seat Removal | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

3rd Row Seat Removal

DiGiornoRisingCrust

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 Explorer Eddie Bauer
My 07' came with third row power seats (ridiculous that it's a $1400 option when a V8 is $1500) and of course they broke and got stuck up. I managed to get them almost all the way down by turning the rod that elevates the seat with a pair of massive pliers, but it's still about a 15 degree incline, which is frustrating.

I won't ever use the seats and even if I wanted, the rod isn't visible so I couldn't get them up without taking them out. I think I can figure out how to take them out, but what do I do with the cavern they leave?

I want to build my own deck, but the thought of drilling screws into the metal to hold it down is holding me back. Did the explorers without 3rd rows have covers that I could use? Do they open up to reveal the hole where the seat would be, and do they take up the area that the cup holder used to occupy?

I can't find a cover anywhere.

Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

In 2006 there was a entry-level model called Explorer XLS. Most/some/all? didn't have a 3rd row. Here are a couple examples of the rear to answer your questions, hope they help.

F34315D3-8375-4BCA-AF7C-4A82C39A27FA_9.jpg

902726735.jpg
1062002279.jpg
1062002291.jpg

AA1F81E9-EAE0-49B6-A1D6-2127D9F2C13A_12.jpg

1041372932.jpg

I can't find a picture, but it looks like the rear D-pillar trim panels would also be slightly different - no shoulder mounted seatbelts up there.

Thanks. The guys at FordParts were clueless and didn't know what I was talking about.

I'll see if I can find someone parting out an Explorer and buy it cheap, buying all of those parts separate is expensive.

at least they keep the 3rd row cup holders! you cant just get them folded down and leave then there for life

Hi I recently joined as I found another thread on adding a third row seat. Mine had the configuration like above that had two storage compartments. I got the seat, seatbelts, trim, and smaller compartment cover for about $100 and converted mine over. There are covered holes that required threading. You can convert yours the other way easier than what I went through. There is also a centerpiece under the storage lids that supports the middle. If you want I can post pics of the parts I removed if you want to see what you'll need .

I had the same issue. The plastic gears on the motors stripped, and the seats wouldn't move. One got about halfway up before finally dying, and it was stuck like that.

Since I never use the 3rd row, I took a recip saw to the threaded rod, and now the seats move up and down manually, but they don't stay up. They flop around, but at least I can put them all the way down, which how they've been 99% of the time.

Back