3rd row window leak

shorrockt

Reaction score
City, State
boynton beach, fl
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLT
Yet another question.

Since I was replacing the rear ac actuator because it clicks (thanks guys for that fix) I thought I would figure out the leak that happens whenever it rains. I am getting water through the drivers side fixed window in the third row.

anyone have a guess as to how to fix this. The glass shops want 300 to fix this, and since i can see the dozen or so bolts on the window, i didn't know if anyone has a fun easy thought.

I was thinking about getting some of the rtv rubber seal maker, and pumping it along the outside top of the window in hopes that it would ooze into the opening and seal it up.

Thoughts?

Tom

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You must have most of the trim off back there anyway to get to the rear AC. Why not remove the nuts and push the glass out, then clean and re-apply the sealant and put the glass back in? :D

I think it is held in place just like the front windshield. only sealant. You might be able to remove the trim panel on the inside and reseal with silicone. Also have someone flood the window with a hose and check it out when the trim is off.

yes, everything was off, that's why I started to do it. there were 14 bolts with tin stamped nuts on them. I removed them and pushed as hard as I dared. Had a bad experience once trying to remove a windshield on an old mustang, so I didn't want to break the glass.

I thought they had to use heat guns to soften the sealant on the windows. I may just be gun shy on breaking the window though.

I know exactly were the leak is on the top of the window. We did the hose trick and I've pinpointed the leak to within a few inches. Called some glass shops and they wanted 300 to do the repair (which seems extremely high to me)

Was hoping someone had an idea of a sealant to pour into the area.

Tom

call around to different glass shops if you have the panel off it should be cheaper. I had mind taken out for body work and then put back in. They use a knife to cut the seal. It was through insurance but I saw the receipt the body shop had from the glass shop.
75 bucks for removal and then after paint they came back to reinstall.
One note have the glass guy remove all the old silicone so when it is reinstall it is flush. I notice mine sticks out little more then it used too.

I Have The Exact Same Problem!!!

Except mine is on the passenger side. I see it whenever I go thru the car wash or when it rains. :confused:

Back