• Register Today It's free!

4.0 engine swap

slmdrngr

Reaction score
City, State
Monicello Arkansas
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Ford Explorer XLT
i have a 1990 ford ranger xlt with a 2.3 liter four cylinder, and a 5 speed standard shift transmission........i recently got a 1998 ford explorer 4.0 v6 automatic, which is wrecked, i was wonderin what all i need from the explorer to transplant the motor and tanny into my 4banger ranger...any help would be appreciated

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

motor swap

i have a 1990 ford ranger xlt with a 6 inch drop all the way around, it is a 2.3 four cylinder 5speed, i have a 4.0 v6 and an automatic transmission....i am going to install it, what all do i need to do this....ha sanybody else done this...if so...let me kno some tips....thanks

Welcome To The Forum! I've seen guys do this swap with an OBDI truck but not the OBDII, Which 4.0 does this have? The SOHC or OHV?

i think its the ohv, its from a 1997 ford explorer, ive got the whole explorer, i was planning on taking the wiring harness, automatic steering column, motor, tranny, radiator, and computer from the explorer, but i wasnt sure if there was anything else i might need like motor mounts or any kind of tips i need to kno

Back