• Register Today It's free!

4.0L help

Redneckfordf250

Reaction score
City, State
Backwoods of AZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
94Explorer 96ranger
Ok guys and gals I need some help with a project we are doing involving a 4.0L V6. To get everybody to understand I will have to tell the whole story which will probably be a bit long.

About a month ago I picked up a 92 ranger 4x4 4.0L and 94 Explorer 4x4 4.0L. The engine in the Explorer was said to be seized which I automatically figured it was and just yanked it out and dropped the 92 engine in. After getting the explorer going strong I found out the starter was seized so I went and looked at the engine while it was out of the truck and turned it over perfectly fine.

I got some time and I figured the engine was good so I dropped it back into the 92 chassis. leaving the starter out. Went to check compression while it was in the 92 chassis and I couldn't turn it over by hand with a breaker bar??

What could cause this. Everything is bolted up fine and it turned over when trans wasn't hooked up. I know the trans in the 92 ranger is good as I drove the truck tons of times. What could lock it up??? I even tried putting the trans in neutral to see.

When I pulled the engine the torque convertor was bolted to the engine and so was the flywheel (or flex plate).

I have some mechanical knowledge and so does my dad but we can't figure this out at all.

This is how the engine looked when I pulled it out (not the exact engine but I pulled both engines exactly the same way)
Trav
Blizzardenginetransplant4.jpg

Back