4.0L sohc rear timing chain tensioner | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4.0L sohc rear timing chain tensioner

Ronjm

Reaction score
City, State
Sydney NEW SOUTH WALES
Year, Model & Trim Level
Explorer XLT 1997 4L SOHC
Hi Guys I am trying to change my rear chain tensioner on my 1997 explorer and do you think I can get it undone, some people said it was easy and it looked easy to get to and all but I can't get the old one out for the life of me. I have got a 24inch extension bar with a 24inch breaker bar but still won't budge. ANY IDEAS?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes, I think you can get this undone, Add leverage. Use another bar attached to your breaker bar.

Good luck.

And I am sure you have already tried PB Blaster spray and soak.

Yep already tried to soak and I think I will need another person to get more leverage to hard to hold otherwise. Thanks

Yep. You got it. With a second person, you can add fence post, or pipe, or jack handle, or anything to add leverage. Go long, don't flinch. You got it.

Good luck!

Hi Guys I am trying to change my rear chain tensioner on my 1997 explorer and do you think I can get it undone, some people said it was easy and it looked easy to get to and all but I can't get the old one out for the life of me. I have got a 24inch extension bar with a 24inch breaker bar but still won't budge. ANY IDEAS?

Using a long extension adds flex and will make it harder to break the tensioner loose. If possible use just a ratchet and socket and add a piece of pipe for leverage. I have an old 2-piece jack handle that I use all the time. Used it today to remove my driveshaft bolts and pinion nut. worked flawlessly. Fits my 3/8 and 1/2 ratchet handles.

Yep will try that if I can get up there.

Or use a strong impact wrench with the shortest possible extension. Make sure it's on reverse, and use a
27mm SIX point standard length impact socket. Just curious once it's removed if yours had a thin metal washer.

EDIT- Here's another post with the rear hydraulic tensioner being stuck. Don't know if it ever came out.
For some reason I can not get the back tensioner off. I torqued it to spec 49 ft lbs, but even using a breaker bar and long extension and tried an impact gun through the wheelhouse... it will not budge it.

4.0 SOHC Tapping noise w/video

I just can't imagine it being that tight. I used a 1/2" breaker bar 2' of extensions and a 6 point socket. I also made an access hole in the apron to get a straight shot at it.
Click on the link below to see the pictures.
4.0 SOHC Timing Noise

Back