4dr fuel tank in 2dr

99SportX

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Duluth, MN
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Ex & Mounty
Will it work to put a four door fuel tank in a two door explorer? I am considering trying this when i do the V8 swap, but I haven't actually done any measuring and was wondering if anyone has tried it.

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I too would like to know

I doubt it's possible to do it easily. If I remember correctly from my days in the Fuel Tank Plant, I believe that the extra length is on the back of the tank, so short of moving the hangers forward and re-routing the fuel lines slightly, I don't think it'd be very easy (if it's possible at all).

Not worth the work in my book....

-Joe

Ok, thanks. I will check it our for myself when the time comes. The problem I face is that the fuel tank in the sports is smaller than in the 4 doors, so when I do the V8 swap, my driving range will be lessened due to the lower mpg's. I don't want to be stopping for fuel too often. lol

I bet your mileage won't decrease very much, if you keep your foot out of it. A properly tuned 302 can get about as good a mileage as the OHV engine. But if you're like me, if you got a V8 in there, you'd probably lead-foot it a little. :D

Now, if you had a 1st gen, all the gas tanks are the same size between Sports and 4-door trucks...and you wouldn't have this problem! heheheh.

Rhett said:
I bet your mileage won't decrease very much, if you keep your foot out of it. A properly tuned 302 can get about as good a mileage as the OHV engine. But if you're like me, if you got a V8 in there, you'd probably lead-foot it a little. :D

Now, if you had a 1st gen, all the gas tanks are the same size between Sports and 4-door trucks...and you wouldn't have this problem! heheheh.
Well..isn't that just peachy :mad: ..2nd gen couldn't have the ability to bolt in a larger gas tank....Ok..New challenge....gonna measure and visit a wrecking yard to see whats up with this mess. I wonder what they changed on the underside of the 2nd Gens?!!! :rolleyes:

The 1st gen. Explorers have a lot more room between the fuel tank and the transfer case. I was looking for room for an air compressor, and it would fit there in my 93 Limited.

Compare the difference in length of the 2WD/4WD tanks, and the gap behind the transfer case. Good luck,
Don

Indeed, I suspect it's in the length at the rear of the tank where the filler neck connects. I believe there could be a clearance issue with the rear axle if you tried to install the larger tank.

Memory's still fuzzy....

-Joe

I guess one of us will just have to get off our ***** and do some measuring. :) I will check it out when I get home next week.

I looked at my 99 tank yesterday, and it is a steel tank, whereas the 1st gen tanks are plastic. Some others were wanting to lift the tank up for clearance.
Don

I checked it out today. A four door tank will not fit...The Sports 17.5 gal tank is a tight fit the way it is now!! The tank sits about a inch away from the back of the transfer case and about an inch from the drive shaft...Not much more at the rear axle area...

Maybe with a body lift and a tank taller with the same length and width.....Its not worth the struggle......Just remove the spare and put an extra tank there if it is a must!!!

Man..that really bites!!!!Bad, Bad..Ford idea!!!! Why do the 1st gen sports carry a larger tank..Whats the differance underneath!!!!Shorter trans and transfer or a longer wheelbase?

99SportX, how is your planning for the donor Mountaineer coming? What color of gray is your interior? Is it the newer dark gray, as I still need to find a center dash ashtray for my mail vehicle. Are you going to install a center console from a 2nd gen? If so, make sure that it comes from a truck which has the options that you want.

Evidently Ford used a different wiring harness in different optioned versions. My 99 Limited donor didn't have a changer, whereas I have a spare console which has the changer, but no message center wiring. Good luck,
Don

Back