• Register Today It's free!

4r55E 4wd to 2wd conversion

djcottle

Reaction score
City, State
Seattle Wa
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 XLT
Can someone confirm the output shaft has to be changed on the 4R55E to convert a 4wd transmission to a 2wd. I was hoping it was just an extension housing change. How many hours would it take to change the output shaft if necessary for the conversion? Thanks for the help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i too would like to know this. i posted a similar question a while back and all i got for a repsonse was to "buy a 2wd"

anyone that can expand on this question i too would greatly appreciate.

well I dont have a 4x4, but I dont see why you cant just pull the front shaft... or for that matter why you would want permanent 2wd... :scratch:

As far as I know, there was no 4R55E. They went from the 4R44E to the 5R55E.

But anywho, yes, switching from one to the other involves changing the output shaft, which is the last out/first in when rebuilding the trans. What exactly is involved? Essentially all the steps to a rebuild. Whether you replace or re-use the old components would be your choice, but if it was me doing it, I'd do it right to avoid more work down the road.

As far as I know, there was no 4R55E. They went from the 4R44E to the 5R55E.

But anywho, yes, switching from one to the other involves changing the output shaft, which is the last out/first in when rebuilding the trans. What exactly is involved? Essentially all the steps to a rebuild. Whether you replace or re-use the old components would be your choice, but if it was me doing it, I'd do it right to avoid more work down the road.

There was a 4r55e. The 4r44e was only used in Rangers with the 4 cyl and 3.0 v6. 4r55e is a heavier duty unit used behind 4.0s. Both were later replaced with 5 speed versions, 5r44e and 5r55e, respectively.

And yes, you have to change the output shaft which involves disassembling the entire trans. Check out THIS LINK. This guy did it to his trans, except he was converting this 2wd to a 4wd. Scroll about 1/2 way down the page.

There was a 4r55e. The 4r44e was only used in Rangers with the 4 cyl and 3.0 v6. 4r55e is a heavier duty unit used behind 4.0s. Both were later replaced with 5 speed versions, 5r44e and 5r55e, respectively.

And yes, you have to change the output shaft which involves disassembling the entire trans. Check out THIS LINK. This guy did it to his trans, except he was converting this 2wd to a 4wd. Scroll about 1/2 way down the page.

Why can't they just give these transmissions distinctly different model numbers?!!?

I stand corrected.

Back