4th gen 4.6 in 3rd gen explorer with FBW throttle | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4th gen 4.6 in 3rd gen explorer with FBW throttle

anthonymtz

Reaction score
City, State
Fort Worth
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Ford Explorer XLT
Hey guys just wondering if a 4.6 v8 out of a 2006-2010 fit in a 2004 ford explorer easily? And would I just need to swap ecus? Or anything, I would really love the 290hp v8 vs the 240hp v8!!! :D

But why? If you can even find a 4th gen in a scrapyard with a good engine, it'll cost a little, then to have it swapped is gonna cost a lot. I'm guessing they're not really compatible since it seems nobody else has done it on this forum. It'd probably be cheaper and easier to just buy a fourth gen ex with a v8.

I've been doing a lot of research lately about intakes, heads, cams, exhausts etc. It'd be easier to install cams and do some intake and exhaust work, you'd probably make way more for quite a bit less than the cost of that motor along with your time invested in figuring out wiring and meshing two independent systems together.

Google Hot Rods 4.6 build...granted they used a carb, but the still made like.....393 hp or whatever, boat loads of torque.

Food for thought :)

Thanks guys, maybe I'll invest the money into my current engine and build it! Thanks for the input! :)

Back