How to: - 4th gen hatch swap on 3rd gen Explorer DONE!!! | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to: 4th gen hatch swap on 3rd gen Explorer DONE!!!

Prefix for threads which are instructional.
@boominXplorer, how did you actually remove the hatch. I know without the shocks on it, it’s heavy. If this was already mentioned, I missed it.

I’m only going to have an hour or so to remove one.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

@boominXplorer, how did you actually remove the hatch. I know without the shocks on it, it’s heavy. If this was already mentioned, I missed it.

I’m only going to have an hour or so to remove one.

It is really easy to remove. There are 2 bolts and 2 nuts that hold the hatch to the body and two pins on each hinge that holds the hatch up once you remove the bolts and nuts so it doesn't fall on you. There is one wire harness connector that you have to unplug and it is under the headliner. Ford did their homework on this one to make it easy.

FYI my truck got totaled right before I was going to install my 2006 hatch. So mine never was completed. Was a sad day as it was in really great shape and was over maintained and loved my explorer.

Done deal. Same color too!

66BE797C-5D59-4DAD-A097-B869728D1C59.jpeg

You got lucky there, good job! Make sure you go through the wiring and get it right before plugging it up.

Here's a different view of your pinout info. Helps me to see it this way. If I messed it up at all, let me know.

@boominXplorer, to clarify a question that @firefly1246 had posed. The pins that swap connectors are different pin types. Did you purchase new metal pins? How did you swap these pin types over?

Also, how did you remove the stripe from your Ex? Rubber wheel?

Picked up another '06 hatch for my wife's '05 Ex., also a matching color ("Gold" which was hard to find.) Her window had busted out and a glass company replaced it, but it has to be painted. Quote was $350+ for paint.
Got the '06 hatch for less than that, hopefully can sell the new '05 hatch.

Here's what I've found using the Ford Wiring Diagram books. Ordered one for the '06 for $13 on eBay.
The two grounds that go from the flat pin plug to the round pin plug change size more than I'd like. Not sure what the risks are.

View attachment 166642

Hatch Swap.PNG

On the pins that swap connection types I just stole one from the other harness that was extra. I cut the wire and spliced it 6” in or so with a heat shrink butt connector.

Yes rubber wheel to remove the stripes.

Thanks @boominXplorer for getting this done first!

Wife’s ‘05 done. Will do my ‘04 next.

F572EFCE-B47B-4DAA-8CEC-A391B0EDAE2B.jpeg

BA1AB18B-32AD-4D10-B821-FB919BF9F24A.jpeg

Selling the OE door for $250 if anyone near ATL is interested.

Good job! Color matches perfect too.

Thanks to all of you for this thread.
Great info!
I’ve secured a 2010 gate for my 2004, hope to pick it up this weekend.

@boominXplorer Would it be possible to just gut the wiper/lights/wires from the 3rd gen tailgate to avoid rewiring the connector and all that?

They are pretty different to where it was just easier to repin the connections. The way the wiper motor is setup between the two is way different so wiring mods would be necessary anyway.

Ahh okay gotcha. Thanks again, looking forward to losing that trim piece!

I found the easy way to perform this. I bought a 4th gen and sold my 3rd gen!

Hi folks, I just mounted a 2008 end gate or hatch on my 05 Explorer and all of the wires are different. Does anyone have the wiring schematics for both the 05 (I have torn apart the old 05 hatch) to learn where and what those wires do and will do the same for the 08. But if anyone has already done this, your info would be much appreciated. Thanks.

During my morning coffee, It came to my attention that the numbers for the numbers for the rows on the Tables for the "Big Plug" be inverted. Rather than 1 through 8 they should be 8 to 1. Then the information is correct and if you simply followed color to color wire swapping you should be OK. The a"View attachment 166642" link never opened but the hard to read table below that point is actually correct. And if you see purple and the table lists violet, remember violet is a shade of purple. But all is correct. Peace.

Can I find one in Ivory Parchment Tricoat?

My solution to this was replacing my 3rd gen truck with a 4th gen. Easy Peasy!;)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My solution to this was replacing my 3rd gen truck with a 4th gen. Easy Peasy!;)
Is there an echo in here?
There’s no challenge to simply buying the next Gen. the modification badge comes from swapping hatches, seats, front ends etc. why? No reason. Because we can.

Back