• Register Today It's free!

4th gen X body lift?

Tony3

Reaction score
City, State
Cary,nc
Year, Model & Trim Level
08FordExplorerEddieBauer
I just got a 4th gen X and I want to do a body lift ? Is there any kits out there?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What are your thoughts on these 2.5" suspension spacers off Amazon?

They look to be Explorer specific and you don't need to modify anything like the Ranger stuff

Yea. They would definitely be an easier way to go. The problem is with the explorer being fully independent suspension , with a suspension lift every inch of lift you grain, you are gaining at the cost of downtravel. You know that suspension has to move up when you hit a bump. but it also has to be able to move down when you hit a dip. There is no easy way to get any more downtravel on these trucks.... Crawl under the rear end and take a look at the rear driveshaft. Notice how it goes THROUGH the frame? Yea...
For a truck that never leaves the pavement, having less downtravel is not a problem at all, but I enjoy the occasional fast drive down terrible dirt roads, so I need all the downtravel available....

The other downside of a suspension lift is it raises the center of gravity of the vehicle. because you are lifting everything +3 inches. Engine, frame, transmission, body, etc. Basicaly, everything other than the control arms and tires goes up.

Going with a body lift you are only lifting the body of the vehicle. The engine, transmission, frame, etc all stay in their stock position. This means the heaviest bits are not being lifted, so the CG change will be MUCH less. You also dont need to do an alignment after a body lift, because you arent messing with the suspension at all.

With any spring spacers on this truck you also have the problem of the upper ball joints going bad at the rate of about one a year, unless you spend another $600 on aftermarket control arms.....

Very good points, thank you for the break down. I am not very into tech stuff yet, but I do take my Explorer off the paved roads and I want it to be more off-road capable.

I’m having a trouble with my differential on my 2010 explorer limited. I can’t find a diff drop kit . How can I lower the diff ? I have a 3” suspension lift from supreme suspensions. Anyone able to give me some advice ?

I just got a 4th gen X and I want to do a body lift ? Is there any kits out there?
I'll sell you the body lift and suspension lift wheels and tires and bumper also btf arms off mine. Going the other direction and going slammed now

20230330_234141.jpg

Back