4WD problem, droning noise from front, think it's stuck in 4hi | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4WD problem, droning noise from front, think it's stuck in 4hi

Ilikemice

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Midlands
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 XLT
Hello. Went offroading today, using lo/hi range, and on the way home I get a constant droning noise. If I drive slowly and switch from hi to auto an there's no noise change or clunk or anything. No dash lights are flashing and the low/high lights function correctly.

I haven't had a chance to jack it up, is there anything I need to look for when I do it tomorrow? Is there any way to tell if it's stuck in 4hi without getting all four wheels off the ground?

Cheers!

Switching from auto to high only turns on the electric clutch, hence no noise, only going to low actually moves the selector in the transfer box, hence neutral and stationary. The droning may be mud etc in the tyres. If you are stuck in high then it will bind when going around bends and you will feel it in the steering.

this sounds like the noise i have & i have just had it looked at & found out it was a wheel bearing as they make a different noise to normal bearings ,they are not taper bearings hope this helps it may be just a wheel bearing gone

It was the hubs... I didn't think they could go bad over the course of a day, but the old one sounds like a bag of gravel when turned by hand. I now have nice new ones fitted and my ABS works properly. Bonus!

Back