4x4 control module | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4x4 control module

blkranger

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 explorer XlT 4.0 4x4
So the dealership has confirmed my 4x4 control module is not working. So my question is, can I get one out of a junk yard and it work as long as the part number matches? Or will I have to have it programed by the dealership? Also when I'm installing it do I need to disconnect the battery?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Good luck finding the right one. Many of us have had bad luck buying used and 3rd party. I bit the bullet and paid ford the $200 for the CM as I was leaving FL in 2 days. Ford delivery guy in person handed it to me. Put it in to find the $150 shift module didn't work also... $500 I wasn't expecting to spend...

I did pull one from a burnt down 2002 Explorer. That explorer did NOT get the brake harness recall. Therefore it caught fire. The CM looked fine. But as soon as I plugged it in the dash light up and started chiming. The radio clock came on also. I unplugged that thing so fast... Threw it away the moment the new came to verify different parts #'s...

There is a salvage yard near me that is dirt cheap on everything. Guy told me he had a bunch to just bring my old one so we can match it up. All for $10. My main question is does a used one need to be programmed?

No programming is required. Hope it works out for you but I would buy a new updated one personally. Let us know what you end up doing and how it works out.

So if the used route doesn't work out. Anyone know the cheapest place to get one? And does the new ones need programmed?

No programing required.

Just the correct updated part#.

Ford only.

Back