• Register Today It's free!

4X4 Control Module

rgh96gt

Reaction score
City, State
Shepherdsville, KY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Eddie Bauer
I have a quick question. I have a 2004 Eddie Bauer with the 4.6 liter engine. When my rear wheels spin on wet roads from take off it feels like the 4x4 high is kicking in and not switching back to 4x4 auto. If I reach up and put it in high and then back in auto it is fine. I think the 4x4 control module is going out. I thought I read somewhere that if you disconnect the module it will stay in 2 wheel drive without damaging anything. Is this true? Can this be done until I can get a new module?

Also, can someone tell me where behind the glove box the 4x4 control module is and what it looks like?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think you should take a look through the brown wire mod thread which is a sticky over in the 2002-2005 modded forum. I believe that in '04 Ford moved the 4X4 control module functions to the PCM. I might be wrong about that though. In the '02s and '03's the 4X4 module is right behind the glove box and is clearly labeled 4X4CM. It's white plastic about 2.5" X 3" x 3/4" thick and has two connectors on the bottom edge.

You should be able to find the power fuse(s) to the transfer case by looking at the chart on the underside of the fuse box that is near the battery. Pulling the fuse(s) will disable it without any damage.

I have looked behind the glove box and can't find anything. However, an online ford parts store gave me a part number. It is 2C5Z7E453A. This makes me think that it is located somewhere. I just don't know where or what the part even looks like.

I pulled fuses 17 and 18 and everything is fine now. I just have the lights flashing every few moments. Are there any adverse effects from driving without the fuses? I will probably leave it that way until I can get the control module. I am going to order it from the Ford dealer in Vegas. They seem really reasonable.

It won't hurt to run w/o power to the t-case. Lots of people have done so.

Where is the control module located in the 2004s? I'm curious to know.

That is a good question. I haven't gotten that far yet. I am waiting to see how much the part is from the Vegas Ford dealer. I am not even really sure what it looks like but I don't think it is the same as the 2002, 2003 control module.

Back