4x4 does not work | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4x4 does not work

UPDATE: I had to take the Explorer to FORD this morning ( I couldnt replace the part myself and didn't have anyone close to me that could) and I told them what I thought the problem was ( the 4x4 module) which they tested and agreed and it's a total of 375.00 parts and labor to replace, and also I had a tranny issue with the jerking when shifting from 2nd to 3rd .. I was told that FORD is aware of issues with this and stated that the processor must be reprogrammed ( problem arises in variable altitudes???????) so anyways.. they say it should be fixed and total out of cost about 500.00.. but with additional snow expected this week , I am hoping,,Oh so Hoping, that everything is fixed and no more problems.. I will let you guys know :)
*********edit........... i got a call from ford that says that the 4x4 auto and high will work but not low so they have to do further testing because that is not connected to the 4x4 high..?? hmmmmmmmmm

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I received my new 4x4CM from Direct Ford Parts (Las Vegas) and installed it tonight.

Everything now seems to be working fine!!! :)

Thanks to all of the help from members in this thread and the other "no 4x4" help threads.

hey guys thanks for all the info. on this 4X4CM my truck had the same problem over the holidays a week before it happend i had left my lights on for some reason killed my batt. and week later when we got snow had no 4x4 and searched on the internet and at first came across the drive motor and then found this and it was like word for word what i had going on and if u ever need a web site with the owners manuel for a ford its ..Dead Link Removed
my new 4X4 CM was 197.61 right from my local ford dealer here in town and it takes like less than 10 min to install they tryed to get me to pay 140 bucks to install it and (PROGRAM) it but shes workin fine just got snow today and didnt have any problems locking it in or out good luck to everyone have any ? about it feel free to email me bigbad96bronco@hotmail

brad

I'm joining the club. Became an '02 XLT Explorer owner over the holidays. Got into an icy patch in some 'back country' last weekend and when i pushed the 4x4 button - no lights, no click, no traction. Took it to the dealer this week and for an $80 diagnostic fee he tells me I need the 4x4CM, which they would replace for the low low price of around $380.

I am looking for the module to replace myself. A friend of the family is a Ford Parts Manager who says he can get me one for $150ish. I just needed to provide the correct p/n as apparently there are a few variations. Took the glove box out and noted the P/N today...

ok here is the deal, my 4x4 didn't work took it to the dealer they changed shift motor, 4x4 worked but lights on the dash didn't work, yesterday 4x4 stopped working, wen t to dealer bought new 4x4CM 4x4 now works, but still no lights, can anyone help me with this issue.......

Well, the mystery deepens for me. I've not had time to get to the dealer, so just kept trying the 4wd switch every now and then. At first, no response, but then it started to switch on every so often. The more I worked with it, the more it would come on. As of this writing, it seems to be working just about every time I try it. Maybe it was just upset that I hadn't needed it for a while :)
Anyone with a more logical explanation is encouraged to chime in.

Here is an update for those who cares;
I ordered the 4x4 moduel, for my 02 Explorer from the place out in Navada (Direct Ford Parts). The salesman was very good to work with. They sent a new moduel to me here in Missouri for $150.36. That included shipping. I did not have to reprogram it, or do anything to it. I gave him my vin# and old part#. I installed it my self and BINGO!!!!! every thing works fine at this time. So there must be something to it when you change your battery. Thanks to all for the info. :thumbsup:
KENTECH

Are the new modules going to last?

Hey guys - I have been monitoring this site for about a month now and I haven't heard how the new owner-installed modules are working. What puzzles me is how a one time loss of voltage renders the module inoperative. So what happens with a loss of power to the new module?

I have the same problem with my 2002. I can pull fuses 17 and 18 in the power block, put them back in and have 4 high and low when I start and drive. Sometimes it will last a few drives, sometimes only one. By reading the posts, a new module will fix it. But for how long? Has anyone disconnected the battery or pulled fuses to see if it still works?

Thanks for the help so far!

Turbo

Welcome aboard,
My 4X4 continues to work fine about 3 months after changing the module. I haven't pulled any power fuses or unhooked the battery since then though. I'm not ready to tempt fate just yet either. My thinking is that Ford realized they had a bad component and upgraded it somewhere in the '03 model run. Hopefully we're getting upgraded modules for our replacements. They do have a different p/n on them.

I find it very interesting that you can get the module to work for a while by removing and reinstalling fuses. That's weird but kind of fits with what others have said. There was a post recently by someone who thought the cold weather affected the operation of his 4X4. Who Knows?

Good luck.

I will have to agree with rrgone on that. I don't want to tempt fate. Hey if it ain't broke, dont fix it. BUT! the question does cross my mind, (Is it fixed or not?)
KENTECH

I've got the same problem, but what sucks is I took it in to Ford for other things, (4x4 worked then) when I left it didn't.....they had their hands in my dash, replacing blower assemblies, I'm still not sold they didn't break it, but refuse to pay for it. They want $480 to install with part. Think I'm going to have to pass on that, and install myself.

Question is...any sort of install tips, or where to start? Diagrams? I'm thinking it can't be too complicated, but you never know.

Hi billb.
What year is your Explorer? I'm guessing it's an '02. If so, read thru this whole thread and you'll find what you need to install a new module.

Good luck.

Yeah, it's an 02, I guess this is a common thing......I've read through the entrie thing, and think we'll be good to go..thanks guys

2002 Ford Explorer Transfer Shift Module

Well, I wish I had read these threads before I just spent $300 on the same module everyone else has bought for $150.

However, my real question relates to why the module might not have been working. Once the dealer installed the new one, the truck began to vibrate severely above 20 mph. After looking things over again, they saw that two of our tires were 255s and two were 235s (thank you Sears for that one).

So, in addition to the damage to the transmission, transfer case and differentials likely caused by having front and back wheels of different size, would those differences in wheel size also have caused the transfer shift module to break? I need some help in telling Sears that they owe us 2 new tires and perhaps that they will need to pay for having the transfer shift module replaced.

The short answer is yes but it's somewhat of a stretch. The military ruggedizes its electronics because of it being susceptible to breaking when moving around (bumps, vibrations, etc). The module is nothing but a circuit board (and a rather chinzy one at that). If your vibration was severe, it COULD indeed have cause the board to fail but would have to be more severe than a truck experiences either 4-wheeling or hitting the rumble strips along the shoulder of some highways. Otherwise u can just chalk it up to being a poorly built piece of equipment which is what most of us have found.

I am experienceing the same problem with my 2002 X. I visited the Navada dealership webpage but couldnt find my part number listed on there. Im assuming since these parts were "upgraded" the numbers wont be the same and I'll need to call with my VIN number and the old part number? My part # is 1L24-7H473-AG and is not listed there. I havent given it a real good look, but does the gold colored screw in the back hold this module in also? It looks difficult to get at. Any tips on removing this piece of junk? Thanks!

I am experienceing the same problem with my 2002 X. I visited the Navada dealership webpage but couldnt find my part number listed on there. Im assuming since these parts were "upgraded" the numbers wont be the same and I'll need to call with my VIN number and the old part number? My part # is 1L24-7H473-AG and is not listed there. I havent given it a real good look, but does the gold colored screw in the back hold this module in also? It looks difficult to get at. Any tips on removing this piece of junk? Thanks!

Just call the 800 number for the dealership and tell them what you need. The old part number and VIN will help.

Don't remove that rear screw to pull the old module. That's the hard way and of course the way I did it. If you look carefully you'll see another screw that comes up from the bottom. That holds the bracket in place. After you remove that screw the bracket swings out and then you can remove the module from it.

Let us know how it goes.

batt dissconnect after my new CM

hey guys update on my 02 i did the CM 2months ago now 2 weeks afterward my batt. took a **** and i had no problems with my CM after replaceing batt. soo new CM are good i guess too all of you askin about disconnecting batt or fuses your safe good luck

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

hey guys update on my 02 i did the CM 2months ago now 2 weeks afterward my batt. took a **** and i had no problems with my CM after replaceing batt. soo new CM are good i guess too all of you askin about disconnecting batt or fuses your safe good luck

Yeah, I can back that up atleast with my B4000. My problem was word for word the same as most of yours. Stopped working after I killed the battery once. New module fixed it up, picked it up locally from the same dealership you all are ordering it from. Like your explorers, the part number for the b4000's and rangers is updated. A few months after I installed the new module I replaced my battery and have had it disconnected for a good while, and my 4x4 still works. :) Cost me a little more than $100 with tax. Thanks guys.

Back