• Register Today It's free!

4x4 high light blinking

jacobl

Reaction score
City, State
michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 XLT
Tried the search but couldn't find much. My mom was going on a trip and said the 4x4 high light started blinking while driving. Hopefully you guys can help me. It is a 2002 explorer xlt 4x4 4.0l v6 with 122k miles

Thanks for your help!:)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

the truck engages and disengages on its own. the light blinks a few times and engages again. Would this be caused by a bad transfer case motor? I was thinking maybe a sensor of some sort?

Thanks!

...sounds like it to me...if you click the link in my previous post and read all the posts you will see some of the same questions you are asking and you will get to see the results of what they found...good luck...:)

the truck engages and disengages on its own. the light blinks a few times and engages again. Would this be caused by a bad transfer case motor? I was thinking maybe a sensor of some sort?

Thanks!

Exact same thing happened to me on my 02'. It was the transfer case module. I replaced it and problem solved. When it got bad bad, my system would shift into 4x4 low all on its own.. scary stuff. I first noticed it when my transfer case would disengage completely... I had to reset the computer by disconnecting the battery so it would work again.

You might be able to hear a little clicking sound behind the glove box when it starts to act up... thats were the module is at.

Hope this helped.

EDIT: You might want to disconnect the module completely while you get the new one... The tranny or transfer case can very easily be damaged if it starts freaking out on you. I was doing about 15mph when it slammed into low... if I was going any faster my entire drive train might have exploded.

Those modules are defective from factory for the 02's. The replacement module I installed was an updated unit. Its was about $200.

Chances are its the 4x4 Control Module
If you drop the glove box, you will see it behind there and it says "4x4CM" on it.

Call or email www.directfordparts.com as they are the cheapest around. I just bought one from them for the same problem, list price is $259.96 your price is $137.80 plus S&H.

The truck is in Canada so I wont be able to test this fix until I go there next month.

however, you can disconnect the 2 connections on the old one for now and you will have full time 2WD which is nice. I wish there was a way to "nicely" switch this module off so I could have 2WD.

I just have to unplug the control module? could it get stuck in 4x4 high?

I just have to unplug the control module? could it get stuck in 4x4 high?

No.

Actually your Explorer is always in an automatic mode of 4x4, as soon as the rear wheels slip, power is added to the front wheels with this module. When you select 4x4 High, power is distributed full time. So without the module, you will have no 4x4 auto, or 4x4 high or 4x4 low.

If you disconnect the module, no power is ever added to the front wheels giving you simple 2WD. The lights on the dash (4x4) may flash even when disconnected but there are guys on here who have driving their X's like this for years until they get a new module.

Thank you very much. The full time 2wd works great!:)

On the direct ford parts website, I can't find the control module. Is there a part number?

Thanks.:thumbsup:

There are multiple part numbers for this unit as half way thorugh 02 Ford changed them.
Email the website or call them and give them your VIN. They will tell you the P/N you require. If you email them they respond within a day. I couldnt get an answer on their 1-800 num so I emailed.
I got a response within 24 hrs with the part number I needed
I ordered it online, and had it in about 3 days.

Back