4x4 Dash Light

supertech1979

Reaction score
City, State
C-ville, KY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 XLS
Hello guys and gals,

I have a question about a 4x4 issue. I have a 2002 Explorer XLS 4.0 4x4. The 4x4 high dash light has been lighting up at random. Driving down the road, it will blink at random. My transmission isn't changing into 4x4 high. It also sometimes shift hard into second in the automatic transmission. That shouldn't have anything to do with the 4x4 high dash light though, any thoughts?

nate

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Has it locked up in Four Wheel Drive yet? If so, you will have a bad 4x4 module (located behind glove compartment)

Search, you will find lots on this issue.

Does it make sense?

Ok I watched it for awhile last night, it blinks in a series of 8 blinks and has probably 1-2 min in between. You can put it in 4x4 H & 4x4 L but you have to push those buttons. It only does this in the 4x4 Auto, does that still sound like the 4x4 CM (Control Module)?. Recently it also has a hard "thrust" or "jerk" "jolt" going into 2nd gear with a auto trans, could that be the 4x4 High or Low trying to pull in?, or does that have to be the tranny?

Any help guys
Thanks
Nathan

Ok I watched it for awhile last night, it blinks in a series of 8 blinks and has probably 1-2 min in between. You can put it in 4x4 H & 4x4 L but you have to push those buttons. It only does this in the 4x4 Auto, does that still sound like the 4x4 CM (Control Module)?. Recently it also has a hard "thrust" or "jerk" "jolt" going into 2nd gear with a auto trans, could that be the 4x4 High or Low trying to pull in?, or does that have to be the tranny?

Any help guys
Thanks
Nathan

same was happening to me. I was able to shift into 4x4hi and low (from nuetral). It turns out that the speed sensor on the transfer case was dropping out(not giving readings all the time). If I remember correctly the tech swapped the connections and was able to determine one of two was bad (I think rear speed sensor) and once it was changed, everything was fine. Going to look for the receipt.

good stuff

where did you get the sensor?, was that hard to do? is it fairly simple to do? any links to know how to change one?

thanks alot by the way

nate

Dealer did it. I have a extended warranty.
It is simple. The hard part was figuring out what was bad, because the first time around the sensor was working, only when tech did test again he found problem.

Before I changed this sensor, I bought the wrong one which is above the rear transaxle. that was not even hard to take out. It was annoying reaching around the over the axle, but jacking up the truck gave me clearance. Only when It did not fix the issue, I went to the dealer. I bet you could do the transfer case with the truck up on ramps or one side up on jack stands. Its only a sensor and its connections.

Your welcome, I hope this helps.
Vishant

How much?

Not to be nosey but how much was the sensor?. If it is none of my business, I understand.
Thanks,
Nathan

Not to be nosey but how much was the sensor?. If it is none of my business, I understand.
Thanks,
Nathan

The price of the sensor and labor was covered by my warranty.
They charged $63 for the sensor and $198 for labor.

Ok. What I have found in my Chiltons Repair manual is a Rear wheel speed sensor. It says that it is located on the rear differential, not the transfer case. Is that what you meant to say?
Nathan

Ok. What I have found in my Chiltons Repair manual is a Rear wheel speed sensor. It says that it is located on the rear differential, not the transfer case. Is that what you meant to say?
Nathan

The sensor on the rear axle did not fix 4x4flashing light issues. That sensor though is $15. That is a rear ABS sensor.

The rear drive shaft speed sensor is what you need. It is the sensor I posted. Replaced Rear Drive Shaft Speed Sensor In Transfer Case.
1 1L2Z-7F293-AB SENSOR.

The Chilton manual confused me and I originally changed the ABS sensor over the rear axle. Again that is not it. You need the sensor that goes onto the Transfer Case. Two sensors reside there. One is for rear drive shaft and one is for front drive shaft.

So I know this is a dumb question, but can you see which one goes to the front and which one goes to the back?. Can you see the wires or cables running toward the front and rear or are they similar?. Also Ford direct have me a price on both sensors, the one for the tc and the abs diff. The tc sensor is $38 and the abs rear diff sensor is about $68, does that sound right because you said you thought the abs rear diff sensor was only like $15 and it looks like its acullay higher than the tc sensor.
Nathan

Have you gone under your rig yet?

Your gonna have to look, because I can't honestly tell you where the connections are. The dealer did all the Transfer Case sensors.The Ford Tech did say he was able to swap the front drive shaft sensor connector with the rear drive shaft sensor connector. If he was telling the truth the the TC sensors are the same. It is NOT the rear axle ABS sensor. I changed that thinking rear ABS sensor when I first experienced the problem thinking it was the cause. Your problem is the Transfer Case sensors. Its probably easier just to swap out both transfer case sensors and spend $76.

Good luck. Lets us know what happens.

I sure will and thanks again. I have already ordered the part, so when it gets here I will use the process of elimination. Try it on one side and see how she drives. If it still doing the same, I put it on the other side, If that doesn't work then I'll order a new one and put both new sensors in it. Then if all else fails I'll go to the 4x4 CM and then the rear diff sensor. I will keep you guys up dated. My Chiltons has a picture of one of the TC sensors, so I have a little to go by anyways. And no, we have just bought this Explorer recently, so this will be the first underneath it. I have only put a blower motor on the AC besides this and it was fairly easy.
Thanks again and in advance,
Nathan

Your welcome.

I look forward to your results.

One more thing, I don't remember if the battery was disconnected to reset the computer after the sensor was installed.

Change the sensor that is connected to the rear drive shaft first.

Tranny & Transfer Fluid, Seprate Systems?

Ok here is where I am now. I had to park the Explorer on a hill to be able to acess the underneath becasue of running boards. I got the old sensor out but then Automatic Trans Fluid poured out for a while. It finally stopped after awhile of pouring out and I installed the new sensor. I called my mechanic and he said some systems are together and that could have been the fluid for the tranny and the transfer case. I can not check the tranny fluid to see if I lost any because it is a closed system and a son of gun to do and you have to have special tools (some kind of pump and a attacment). Does anyone know if they are seperate systems and fills or if they run together. He also said if they do (and they do) have diffrent drain plugs then they are probably seperate systems. Is it the trasfer case fluid (also tranny fluid), in the transfer case resevoir and becasue it was parked front end up and back end down, made it pour out?
Anyone... Once again It is a 2002 Ford Explorer XLS V6 4.0 Auto Tranny.
Thanks
Nathan

Back