4x4 not working again | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4x4 not working again

Rcodenewf

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Eddie Bauer 4.0 SOHC
Had a problem with my 02 E/B several years back at which time the module was determined to be at fault. Replaced it with one from the Dealership in Vegas and all's well. Now i have no 4 wheel drive again.

This time the 4x4 high light comes on the dash as soon as the button is depressed but no power to the front wheels. Had it on snow today and ice yesterday and nothing.

Same goes for 4x4 low. Press button, light comes on but when you put it in drive you can feel it is in a much lower gear but no power to front wheels. Again, i tested it on snow today and the back wheels just spin.

Could it be the module again? I don't hear any clicks at all when the button is pressed.

Also when in auto mode the truck will spin and slide sideways when pulling away from a slippery intersection indicating no auto four wheel function.

Thanks...John

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome aboard!! :salute:

When I bought my Ex the 4x4 didn't work. I replaced the module and that didn't fix the issue. My symptoms were just like yours.

It turned out to be a bad ground on the transfer case. Worth a look.

Good luck getting it sorted. :D:thumbsup:

Please keep us posted as feedback helps others reading this post looking for a fix to the same or similar issue!

I'll certainly check that out Rondo. I just pulled the glove box door down and noticed that there are no clicks heard when the 4x4 high or lo buttons are pressed. Shouldn't the relay inside the module make a click?

This module came from the ford dealership in Vegas. Does anyone have the link to their new site?

The part number on mine is 1L24-7H417-AL

Thanks....john

Don't know if you need to get another module or not. Kind of sounds like it though. Take a good look at the wiring around the transfer case especially the short black ground wire. Here's the place in Vegas.
www.silverstatefordparts.com

Let us know how it goes.

I just checked both the 20amp fuses in the Battery Junction Box under the hood and they are fine.

Upon checking the fuses in the Central Junction Box inside the truck i noticed that fuse #15 (5amp) has no power to it at all. Without a schematic i won't be able to see where that fuse gets power feed from. Does anyone know?

Thanks....John

Edit: I just located the wiring diagram and it appears that #15 fuse is only functioning in 'crank and not 'run' ...i'll check that. Apparently it disables 4x4 upon startup.

John

Update: As there were no audible 'clicks' when the buttons were pressed, i replaced the module which i promptly received from Silverstateford. Now i can hear a click when the low button is pressed and then a click on the dash....but still no power to the front wheels.

I guess i'll have to check out the motor and grounds. We have lots of snow here now so after installing the module i went to a parking lot with roughly 1foot of snow. Clicks and goes into low but no drive to front wheels. Pressing the 4x4 high button gives me no clicks...not sure if that is normal or not.

4x4 high and 4x4 low lights come on the dash when pressed.

Thanks..John

Update: As there were no audible 'clicks' when the buttons were pressed, i replaced the module which i promptly received from Silverstateford. Now i can hear a click when the low button is pressed and then a click on the dash....but still no power to the front wheels. I guess i'll have to check out the motor and grounds. We have lots of snow here now so after installing the module i went to a parking lot with roughly 1foot of snow. Clicks and goes into low but no drive to front wheels. Pressing the 4x4 high button gives me no clicks...not sure if that is normal or not. 4x4 high and 4x4 low lights come on the dash when pressed. Thanks..John

The same thing was happening to me. It was a bad ground on the transfer case that fixed it for me. Good luck. :thumbsup:

Thanks BigRondo...that's next on my list of things to check...

Back