4x4 high light flashes | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4x4 high light flashes

jackdc

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 and 03 Explorers
I know this has been discussed but here is my case. My 2002 Explorer's 4x4 light flashes eight times then out for two minutes, then on again. The abs light would come on when skidding in the snow and abs wouldn't work until I would get on in slippery conditions and spin the tires. Then the light would go out and the abs would work again. Replaced rear speed sensor and seems to have fixed that problem, but 4x4 light still flashes. 4x4 high and lo both work with push button but 4x4 auto doesn't seem as if it is engaging. Could that still be the control module or is there something else that could be less expensive I can try?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If it flashes 6 times every 2 minutes, then it is probably a speed sensor issue

I have the same problem as told by JackDC on my 2004 Explorer at 80,000km. On my way home today, the ABS light was ON all the way home, and the 4x4High light would just flash, but most of the time it was OFF. As explained in other threads, the 4x4 High lights ON or engages the 4x4 as required when sensed by the computer board. I guess the ABS and the 4x4 sensors are interlinked? I didn't bring it yet to the dealer here in Kuwait, I just want to be sure what's really wrong before I bring it over. As per JackDC's experienced, the 4x4 LED still flashes even after the speed sensor was replaced, anything else is wrong? Appreciate for any help. I'll checking other threads on the same subject. Note: We don't have snow here, neither it rains here (only maybe 6x per year).

What if it flashes 10 times every 2 minutes?

Sorry - I'm referring to the 4x4 high light flashing 10 times. And it seems that no 4x4 is working at all.

I ended up going to dealer. Mechanic said number of times 4X4 light flashes doesn't matter. They all flash different amounts. He put it on the computer and diagnosed that I needed a 4X4 module. I bought new one online much cheaper than dealer wanted. Replaced it and have had no problems since.

Thanks for the info - how hard is it to install a replacement 4x4 module?

Very easy. Drop glove box down all the way. Module is visible. Remove screws from brackets, unplug, plug in new, replace screws.

Abs?

I work for Right Gear And Axle of Salinas, Ca ABS lights, or sensors do usually come on after metal collects on the sensor. whipe it of an call it good , as long as your brgs aren't shot all to hell! whats throwing me off is the 4x4 light flahing off and on . I called to order a 4x4cm and the dealer tells me the modual is not available for this vehical??????? WTF I am lost. My wife is out of town , and I can't see the truck for myself!!!! maybe the motor on the crappt tcase?!?!?!? I have already rebiult the rear axle the tcase is well taken care of> tire depth has always been correct. no low tires. the light has to be something electrical

ya i got the same problem.i replaced my 4x4 control module & the 4x4 light still flashes

4 X 4 light flashing 10 times

My 2002 Ford Explorer started spinning around in an icy parking lot (like doing a donut) .

Ever since then, my 4X4 hi lighte flashes 10 times ...goes out and does it again over and over.

I had no problem before I spun out. Seems to ride the same but I worry I did something wrong. Can anyone help me with advice? Very tough time financially right now so going to a dealer is not an option, unfortunately.

Thank you.

Regarding my post last Jan 14, 2009, five days after that, a loud sound was obvious coming from the front wheel at the right side of the driver. It happened when we went to the park close by, around 5 kilometers away from home. So i called a mechanic and later met him in the house that late afternoon. The verdict, a damaged front wheel bearing. Total parts and labor cost, around $200. I guess the ABS sensor was sensing something was wrong few days back, that's why the ABS light was turning ON and OFF. My wife actually drives this 2004 Explorer truck on daily basis and she was already hearing some sound but i never thought it was that bad. Also, since i removed fuse #18 to disable the Auto 4x4 as advised by others, when i returned it back after the new bearing installation, the 4x4 light never bothered me anymore. Everything was A okay. The bearing replacement was at 81,000 KMS and at its 5th year.

Regarding my post last Jan 14, 2009, five days after that, a loud sound was obvious coming from the front wheel at the right side of the driver. It happened when we went to the park close by, around 5 kilometers away from home. So i called a mechanic and later met him in the house that late afternoon. The verdict, a damaged front wheel bearing. Total parts and labor cost, around $200. I guess the ABS sensor was sensing something was wrong few days back, that's why the ABS light was turning ON and OFF. My wife actually drives this 2004 Explorer truck on daily basis and she was already hearing some sound but i never thought it was that bad. Also, since i removed fuse #18 to disable the Auto 4x4 as advised by others, when i returned it back after the new bearing installation, the 4x4 light never bothered me anymore. Everything was A okay. The bearing replacement was at 81,000 KMS and at its 5th year.

Thanks for the update!

Back