4x4 not working! No lights on dash. 2002xlt | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4x4 not working! No lights on dash. 2002xlt

Hipoman

Reaction score
City, State
Maryland
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLT
I still have no lights on the dash to engage the 4x4. I've tried this in park,nuetral, and driving (according to what 4x4 function I need, lo or high). Nothing works! I've checked all the related fuses and they are fine. I also don't have the AWD function (tires slip/spin). Would this lead me to believe that the control module is bad? Does power to the switches come from the
4x4 control module? Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. I would love to fix this myself what with Xmas and all. Thanks for any response!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Fourth posting, same situation, same region...

Hi there... There is a trend here. Anybody on the East Coast that can can get a better response? I find this odd...

(Thanks Hipoman! I'm sure you'll have an answer soon) :thumbsup:

Same problem here! 2002 XLT 4-auto not working, and neither is 4H or 4L. I'm new here to try and find the resolution, but it seems like LOTS of folks are having similar symptoms...:mad:

Possible fix??

I found this posted elsewhere today:

Have an 02 explorer...never had a problem with it... when I pushed the 4x4 high button, nothing happened. Couldn't even get the 4x4HIGH to light up on the dashboard. I tried 4x4low with the same results. I checked the fuses under the steering column and by the engine and they seem ok....whaddya think the problem is? The trans seems fine....the trans runs fine, so i don't think it is the trans.....I'm hoping it is just a relay or something since it won't even light up on the dash....Found out today it is the 4x4 control module...$500 to fix.... ...but it is better than $1000 -----

Answer:
I would use caution here. If you perform Fords diagnostic procedure it will tell you to replace conrol module when the problem is the actuator. Unfortunatly I speak from expirience. Everyone who suggested tapping on actuator is correct. This gets most of them working again. We tell our customers to run their system thru all ranges once a month to keep system working. Good Luck

I am going to try this. I am having trouble finding where the 4x4 control module and the actuator are. Any help??

I found this posted elsewhere today:

Have an 02 explorer...never had a problem with it... when I pushed the 4x4 high button, nothing happened. Couldn't even get the 4x4HIGH to light up on the dashboard. I tried 4x4low with the same results. I checked the fuses under the steering column and by the engine and they seem ok....whaddya think the problem is? The trans seems fine....the trans runs fine, so i don't think it is the trans.....I'm hoping it is just a relay or something since it won't even light up on the dash....Found out today it is the 4x4 control module...$500 to fix.... ...but it is better than $1000 -----

Answer:
I would use caution here. If you perform Fords diagnostic procedure it will tell you to replace conrol module when the problem is the actuator. Unfortunatly I speak from expirience. Everyone who suggested tapping on actuator is correct. This gets most of them working again. We tell our customers to run their system thru all ranges once a month to keep system working. Good Luck

I am going to try this. I am having trouble finding where the 4x4 control module and the actuator are. Any help??

good find, cleam! i'll try this first as well, but also need to know where the actuator and control module are located...

4x4 actuator?

It sounds like this could be my 4x4 problem as well! Could anyone tell me where the actuator is for my 4x4? Is it near the control module? Is this part easy to replace if tapping on it doesn't work? ( At this point I might end-up beating on it). Any help is greatly appreciated!

2002 xlt v8, 4wd, 129,000 miles and going strong!

By "actuator" do you mean the transfer case shift motor?

Don't waste your time. If the motor on an '02 was trying to shift, but the motor wouldn't respond, it would throw a fault code and start blinking the lights.

In all likelihood, it's the 4x4 control module. It's the most common cause of this problem with a 3rd-generation Explorer. As the '02s hit the 5 year mark, we're seeing a lot more 4wd issues with them on this board, and the vast majority of them end up being the 4wd control module.

-Joe

4x4 control module not working?

Thanks for all the replies. After talking to my brother-in-law who is a mechanic, he seems to think the shift motor would need a "command" in order to work or not work. This would start at the control module. So I do believe it's the module and will look into replacing it myself. Just to let everyone know my local Ford dealer needed my Vin to find out which one I need as there are a couple applications for 2002. It looks like it's going to run me about $280.00 for the part. Does anyone have an easy description on how to replace it? Thanks again.

Back