• Register Today It's free!

4x4 not working

The_Reaper

Reaction score
City, State
Stow , Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 explorer sport 4x4
I have a 98 explorer sport, the 4 high and 4 low lights light up and i can hear the soliniod engage and disengage while turning the switch. when in 4 low it does go into low but no 4x4( higher rpms at slower speeds ). No 4x auto 4x high either. Iam sure this has been covered before, i did do searches but there is so many 4x problems that i did not find one specific to mine.
Thanks in advance for the help.

Welcome to the forum

The shift motor might not be working, its a pretty common issue. Theres a rubber bushing inside of it that ends up detioriating and causes the motor to not work properly. Pull the motor off the t-case (think its 4 bolts or something like that) and watch it while someone engages the 4WD and see if it moves. If it doesnt, theres a thread on how to rebuild the shift motor, i think in the trans/t-case/differential section of the forum

He says its shifting ranges, but no power to the front. Sounds like a TOD issue. Check for voltage at the brown wire, matbe swap the TOD relay to eliminate that.and check to make certain any previous owners did not do a brown wire mod or front prop shaft removal. And search here the four wheel drive troubleshooting and brown wire.

Back