• Register Today It's free!

4x4 problem

and11

Reaction score
City, State
wolverhampton UK
Year, Model & Trim Level
ford explorer ltd
hi there is probably an answer on here but i cant seem to find it. my 1999 4ltr auto explorer has a problem when i switch to 4wd high the 4wd high light comes on the dash but car is not in 4wd then if i switch to 4wd low after a few attempts the 4wd low light appears on the dash, and then the car bangs into low range after moving the car a bit ,then it is not to easy to come out of 4wd when it does it bangs again. Sorry it is a long question :) can anybody put me to the rite thread please or help

for 4 low to engage properly, you have to be in nuetral, and switch the switch, and wait for the light to come on,

sounds like you may be doing it in gear,

the 4 wd high is if the light is not flashing it is working in the transfer case,,
check the front diff for issues, and make sure the driveshaft is not ruined at either end,,

Which transfer case do you have? I recently seen one with similar concerns. But it was a auto 4x4 with 4high and 4low. There was a problem with the clutches in the transfer case.

hi there is probably an answer on here but i cant seem to find it. my 1999 4ltr auto explorer has a problem when i switch to 4wd high the 4wd high light comes on the dash but car is not in 4wd then if i switch to 4wd low after a few attempts the 4wd low light appears on the dash, and then the car bangs into low range after moving the car a bit ,then it is not to easy to come out of 4wd when it does it bangs again. Sorry it is a long question :) can anybody put me to the rite thread please or help

I was told that since the lights on the dash work, the control module is functioning properly. the problem with my Explorer was that the transfer case motor was not engaging properly. You can find a procedure to change out your transfer case motor on You tube.

Back