2000 Explorer Sport with a flashing 4WD switch. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2000 Explorer Sport with a flashing 4WD switch.

qbclub26

Reaction score
City, State
Omaha, Ne
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Sport
I have a 2000 Explorer Sport. I have the Automatic 4WD feature. The other day I noticed that my dash lights for the 4WD switch started flashing on the dash. No lights come on when I switch 4WD Auto, 4WD High or 4WD low. They continue to flash about 6 times then go off for awhile. What causes this? Is it expensive to fix? Thank you.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The system has detected a fault. What specific fault? No way to know without a scan tool (not the AutoZone Special either). 4WD DTC's are store on the GEM. It takes an NGS or WDS scanner to read them.

Now, that being said, a common cause is the rear axle speed sensor. It's $15, takes 15 minutes to change, and in my experience on this board, fixes the problem about 3/4 of the time or more. If it doesn't fix it, you're only out another $15.

-Joe

Thank you very much. I will try the speed sensor first.

When i had my radio bezel off while installing my new stereo i accidentally must have pulled a plug out of the button for the 4x4, and this caused the 4x4 lights to blink a few times and then stop for a while, then blink a few times again. As soon as i fixed the wire it worked fine. Just an idea to check the wiring before buying parts.

Back